Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong/Weak Shooting

Unhappy Strong/Weak Shooting

Folks,
    did my first three IPSC matches and performed surprisingly well by not getting DQed and being in the top five at some stages with "long" distance shooting. I know I have to go faster, but one problem killed my results dramatically: one hand shooting. I use a CZ75 shadow without any modifications, making 296/300 when shooting precision at 20 yards, but weak or strong hand only is a nightmare. Any hints for grip and stand? How to train that?

Thx & DVC
    Mike
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

This subject is near and dear to me, as I used to SUCK at one hand shooting. I don't think there is a trick, or easy solution.

Something that worked for me, was to get a DA .22 revolver and shoot thousands of rounds with one hand. If you can steer the sights while managing a long, heavy trigger, you can shoot about anything with one hand. It is critical to press the trigger straight back, as you don't have a second hand to mask imperfections in the trigger press. I also think it is important to keep the trigger moving, and try to roll the trigger to get a surprise break, to reduce anticipation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    To add to GJM's recommendation, I incorporated a pistol magazine of one handed shooting for each hand at the end of my training sessions. A year later, it was a non-issue. I'd also recommend one-handed dry firing.

About 30% of all my shooting consists if SHO/WHO shooting. It's that important.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    About 30% of all my shooting consists if SHO/WHO shooting. It's that important.
    I guess "important" would depend on your goals and sport. I've shot matches throughout a year without any SHO/WHO. Interesting enough USPSA classifiers and the IDPA classifier both have SHO/WHO stages/strings. Depending on your goals and shooting level, it might be better to focus on target transitions and splits.

Roger's Shooting School puts heavy emphasis on SHO/WHO shooting, but I did well there because I had already been shooting a magazine of pistol SHO/WHO at the end of my training sessions for over a year.

The best way to improve support hand shooting that i have found was to invest in a left hand holster and shoot bulls-eyes. Yes I sucked at first but if you concentrate on the basics you will see rapid improvement. Do the same bulls-eye strong hand, concentrating on basic fundamentals. Speed will increase as it is a natural byproduct of training.

Chris

Had right arm in cast, broke both forearm bones near wrist April 2012. Plate + 11 screws in, out later.
    4,000 rounds LHO mainly 25 yard 6''x6'' head plates and 7yd speed headshots.
    Helped my weak hand LH shooting. I had also done lots of it over the years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Had right arm in cast, broke both forearm bones near wrist April 2012. Plate + 11 screws in, out later.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Helped my weak hand LH shooting.
    That's not a preferred technique for learning to shoot LHO

Was not mine either but I did not get a vote.

Some videos are worth a million words. Dave Harrington's dry-fire training is especially heavy on ambidexterity.

User Tag List