Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked Glock Magazines Bodies

I still have all four of the original NFML magazines that came with the two second generation G19s I bought NIB in 1989.
    Two of those never-abused mags have longitudinal cracks connecting the witness holes, that began to be noticeable after a couple years' use.

None of the various newer generations of G19, G21, G30, G26 and G36 I have show such cracks.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I still have all four of the original NFML magazines that came with the two second generation G19s I bought NIB in 1989.
    Two of those never-abused mags have longitudinal cracks connecting the witness holes, that began to be noticeable after a couple years' use.

None of the various newer generations of G19, G21, G30, G26 and G36 I have show such cracks.
    Same... I had it happen with some early NFMLs I got @ 1992, but I haven't seen it any new manufacture.

OTOH, I can see it happening to mags that have been exposed to different weather conditions with minimal protection and care over years of riding in a cop's mag pouches.

I have more than 100 Glock magazines of various caliber floating around my house. Some date back to 1995. I've never seen that happen without some form of unreasonable abuse.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I've seen a couple of the 1st gen NFML mags crack, IMHO one needs to expect that one's magazines might not be good after 20+ years of use.

The G21 mag looks abused.

Several years ago I dropped a loaded NFML G23 mag onto a hard floor and ended up with the same crack down the back center. I was surprised and saddened; have never seen that happen with newer FML mags. I'll see if I can find the photo I took back then.

I generally consider Glock magazines as consumable parts. There are some occasions where I might swap out a spring or follower, but for department guns it's easier to diagnose and issue a whole new magazine.
    If you knew you were going to be in a fight for your life tomorrow, what would you change today?

I've done LEOSA quals for retirees still carrying the same gen1, pebble-gripped duty guns they carried on duty. In a few cases, with the original mags. More than one has shown up with the original box, manual, and papers too. Some of these have been early guns, from agencies first adopting the 17. Pretty neat.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List