Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Glock Magazines Bodies

Cracked Glock Magazines Bodies

I was sent the following photo Friday from a neighboring agency concerning their Glock mags. I don't have many details other than two officers found at least one of their mags were cracked down the body where the witness holes are located. This department issues Glock 21SFs that are approximately 4 years old, these replaced Glock 20s. In the picture, a Glock 21 (left) and what appears to me to be a preban Glock 17 mag (right). I'm a little confused why a department that issues G21s has a 20+ year old 9mm magazine in use but that's another mystery I guess.

So, I know some of you guys have been around a lot of Glocks for a long time. I've personally never seen this. Is this common? Is it just the plastic separating from the metal lining? I noticed the corners of the G21 mag are chewed up and wondered of constant dropping of mags on a hard surface could cause cracking? I googled this and apparently this is not unheard of but I'm looking for some information before word travels and all my guys think their mags are junk.

Those magazines look beat to hell.

I've not seen it in the 15+ years I've standardized on Glocks.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've always thought Glock mags were pretty robust. When I first saw the pic I was dumbfounded as to how that happens. I mean, I understand mags are a replaceable item and they get damaged but the cracks suprised me for some reason.

Site Supporter
    I have multiple OEM Glock mags in large frame and small frame and I have never seen or heard of anything like that in picture. I wonder if they were run over with a car?

Site Supporter
    Is there any deformation to the metal body (internal), or is it just the plastic shell? It almost looks like it was squished, but the body looks reasonably shaped.

JV, not sure. I've only seen pics. I asked my contact there to keep me updated. I think they were/are planning on contacting a rep. I wish I had more details. As far as I've been told this is isolated to two officers, with only one mag each.

I did that to a 17 magazine a couple years ago. I was trying to do a running reload, didn't seat the magazine, dropped it on concrete and then stepped on it. It ended up looking like the magazine on the left. It still fed rounds after that.
    <---Hates smart phones and kids on his lawn.

The only broken Glock magazine I have ever seen was found in a street with heavy traffic without any ammunition in it. The Glocks Gen 3 G34/G35 at the local PD are about 8 years old and they are basically running original parts including the magazines with no issues. I have recommended replacing all springs in the pistols and magazines.

The mag on the right looks like a first edition NFML mag. I've heard of these mags cracking, and seen a few photos of this generation magazine with cracks. I've never heard of it with the FML mags (such as the one on the left) , but there are a lot of Glock magazines out there, statistically some will will go bad.

That mag on the left looks pretty beat up, and the crack is on the same side as the excessive body damage. Coincidence, or are they related? Any magazine can fail, especially if subjected to hard use.

The longevity of polymer firearm components, especially those subject to high stress, such as magazines and frames, is a subject that perhaps needs greater study.
    Last edited by Moonshot; 11-15-2014 at 11:01 PM.

User Tag List