Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BS Busters Number 87: The Myth of the 18 Inch Barrel Velocity

BS Busters Number 87: The Myth of the 18 Inch Barrel Velocity

BS Busters Number 87: The Myth of the 18 Inch Barrel Velocity

The BS: “20 inch barrels for the AR-15 are obsolete because 18 inch barrels produce muzzle velocities that are only a few feet per second less than the muzzle velocities of 20 inch barrels.”

The Facts: If you’re going to make a valid comparison between the muzzle velocity of an 18 inch barrel and a 20 inch barrel you need to use the same type of barrels, from the same manufacturer, made from the same steel, with the same type of rifling and twist-rate and the same chamber. Comparing the muzzle velocity of a stainless-steel 18 inch barrel that has a 223 Wylde chamber, polygonal rifling and 1:8” twist, to that of a 20 inch chrome-lined CMV barrel that has a 5.56mm NATO chamber, standard rifling and a 1:7” twist is asinine; yet that’s just what the Internet Commandos and other self-anointed SMEs do in order to make their ridiculous claim.

Secondly, in order to make a valid comparison, you need to chronograph a large enough number of shots from each barrel to remove the variable of the velocity deviations of the ammunition itself from the equation; piss-ant five-shot strings don’t cut it. Using quality ammunition with a low standard deviation is also a plus.

Thirdly, in order to make a valid comparison, you need to use a chronograph that has verifiable readings. Most of the non-industrial chronographs currently available simply aren’t up to the task; with one notable exception, that exception being the Oehler 35P chronograph with proof-screen technology.

The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings. If there is, the chronograph flags the shot to let you know that the data is invalid. Obviously, testing should also be conducted under the same atmospheric conditions.

The Data. On the same day, following the methodology described above, I conducted a muzzle velocity comparison between a stainless-steel Noveske 20 inch DCM barrel that has polygonal rifling, a 1:7” twist and a Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber, to that of a stainless-steel Noveske 18 inch SPR barrel that also has polygonal rifling, a 1:7” twist and a Novekse Match Mod 0 chamber. An Oehler 35P chronograph with proof screen technology was used for obtaining and recording the velocity data. (Velocities listed below are muzzle velocities, as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software.

20 inch Noveske barrel

18 inch Noveske barrel

Thirty shots of Hornady’s 5.56mm 75 grain TAP T2 were fired over the chronograph from each barrel described above. (Thirty occurrences of the subject being studied are what the statisticians like to refer to as a “large sample.”) The shots were fired in a single-loading manner from a Bob-sled to allow the bolt to lock-back and the chamber to cool between each shot. A delay of 30 seconds between the loading of each round as well as the round being fired within three seconds of being loaded was performed in order to mitigate the effects of “chamber soaking” on the velocity readings.

The average muzzle velocity of the 30 shots of TAP T2 fired from the 20 inch Noveske barrel was 2885 FPS. The average muzzle velocity of the 30 shots fired from the 18 inch Noveske barrel was 2779 FPS; for a difference of 106 FPS.

I also conducted the same test in the same manner as above using the Black Hills 5.56mm 50 grain TSX ammunition. Thirty shots of the Black Hills load fired from the 20 inch barrel produced a muzzle velocity of 3414 FPS. The thirty shots fired from the 18 inch barrel had a muzzle velocity of 3305 FPS; for a difference of 109 FPS.

Another valid method of comparing the muzzle velocities of different barrel lengths is to use the same single barrel for testing; that is, start the chronographing with the barrel at a length of 20 inches, then remove two inches from the muzzle of the barrel for a length of 18 inches, recrown the barrel and then chronograph at that length. I’m not about to lop off pieces from the muzzle of my Noveske barrel, but the good folks at Accuratereloading.com have conducted just such a test.

Using the barrel of a Sako bolt action rifle, they chronographed 70 shots of assorted 223 Remington 52 grain hand-loads from each length of the sectioned barrel. The difference in the average muzzle velocities of the 20 inch section of barrel and the 18 inch section of the barrel was 99 FPS.

Last edited by Molon; 11-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

The BS: “20 inch barrels for the AR-15 are obsolete because 18 inch barrels produce muzzle velocities that are only a few feet per second less than the muzzle velocities of 20 inch barrels.”

The Facts: If you’re going to make a valid comparison between the muzzle velocity of an 18 inch barrel and a 20 inch barrel you need to use the same type of barrels, from the same manufacturer, made from the same steel, with the same type of rifling and twist-rate and the same chamber. Comparing the muzzle velocity of a stainless-steel 18 inch barrel that has a 223 Wylde chamber, polygonal rifling and 1:8” twist, to that of a 20 inch chrome-lined CMV barrel that has a 5.56mm NATO chamber, standard rifling and a 1:7” twist is asinine; yet that’s just what the Internet Commandos and other self-anointed SMEs do in order to make their ridiculous claim.
    Maybe I'm not privvy to the conversations you have been involved in, but to me it seems like you're misrepresenting what the common idea is. At least, what I've heard people commonly say...in that an 18" will often successfully fulfill the same application as a 20".

Given that, will the ~100fps difference make a huge difference in the efficacy of a medium range purposed 5.56 rifle?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's so refreshing to read the truth from a scientific approach. Thank you for the time and effort Molon!

Well done sir!

I don't particularly like 18" barrels and have disposed of all my SPR/Mk12 type rifles.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

[QUOTE=DocGKR;269005]Well done sir!

What is a few fps?

I have some 16" chrome lined barrels from Colt (carbine length gas system) and a DD (mid-length gas system). Both are lw. I recently bought a DDV11 S2W 18" barrel. I wanted the heavy barrel with rifle length gas system, but the 15" SLiM rail was the clincher. I have not yet shot it as I am saving up for a SSA-E or SD-E trigger and an optic suitable to 500 yard target/predator shooting. Why do others buy 18" barrels? Are they as popular in 3-gun as I think they appear to be?

While this is all interesting in abstract, I once again find myself asking "what's the point?" 100 FPS isn't a significant enough loss to affect terminal ballistics, so unless it's hurting a metric that actually matters like accuracy, why does it even matter?

What is the role of an 18" barrel?

A 20" barrel is pretty standard in 5.56 for a "rifle" (using the AR platform).
    A 16.1" barrel is a creation to avoid NFA hassels from using a 14.5" barrel.
    A 10.3" barrel is for people who want to look cool, or for a very VERY small niche of people. (the more I train, the more I realize how well my 16" carbines get it done, even in and around vehicles, often better than a 10.3" gun. I have both, I like to look cool...)

So what good is the 18" barrel, honestly? What is its purpose? IMO, It has none that is technically quantifiable, and remains an emotional/aesthetic purchase. Although, it can be argued that "I bought this 18" barrel because I wanted "X" configuration, and "X" configuration barrel was only available as an 18" barrel.

The 18" barrel SPR/Mk12 was a compromise. In an overly simplified narrative, one SOF group wanted a 20" DMR rifle for long range engagements with 5.56 mm; another wanted to stick with the home brewed "recce" style 16" configurations their unit armorers were building. Neither got what they wanted, as the procurement folks simply split the difference and standardized on an 18" configuration...

Personally, I find the 16" barrel does everything I want in a 5.56 mm carbine; if the weapon has a dedicated suppressor, then a 12" barrel works well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    the Internet Commandos and other self-anointed SMEs
    My irony meter just broke the stop peg off.

Otherwise, nice post.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Great effort on the precision of the testing!

I've never really done any serious ballistics testing but this fits in with the general line I'd always heard about an inch of barrel being worth 50 fps until you get stupid short.

I'm not sure if that's actually a reliable rule of thumb but it's what I always heard.

Anyway if I had 20" or 16" barrels on hand I wouldn't race out and replace them with 18s...and vice versa. I can't imagine a thinking man that would, although I bet there's a metric Ftonne of that thing in some corners of the internet. What will an 18" barrel do? Pretty much everything a 20" will do, just a little slower. What will a 16" barrel do? Pretty much everything an 18" will do, just a little slower. What's fast enough? Depends. I have a BCM Recce 16 and if I ever find myself feeling like it's not enough gun, I'm not going to try to fix that problem with two inches of powder burn, I'm going to fix it with 20 more grains of powder.

Free lunches exist for everybody, everyday, everywhere, except those of us born to women either within, straddling the border of, or outside, Lithuania.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List