Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Shoulder Holsters.

On Shoulder Holsters.

What say the professionals about quality shoulder holsters? Derp or a carry method of substance? Let us exclude the nylon toy holsters seen on store shelves and consider only quality kit like Lou Alessi, the Galco/Jackass models, etc.

Most importantly: will buying a white Ferrari with the shoulder rig improve the shooter's draw times?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    What say the professionals about quality shoulder holsters? Derp or a carry method of substance? Let us exclude the nylon toy holsters seen on store shelves and consider only quality kit like Lou Alessi, the Galco/Jackass models, etc.

Most importantly: will buying a white Ferrari with the shoulder rig improve the shooter's draw times?
    Only with a Bren 10.

I've never been in a position where a shoulder holster would be beneficial so I've never actually used one. All I can do is guess. They could work well for people who are seated in the performance of their duties, making traditional iwb carry difficult to access in a hurry like pilots and drivers/chauffeurs. Maybe backpacking where the pack's waist belt can interfere a draw from the belt line?

Can also be useful when dealing with some kinds of back injury. Difficult to train live fire with as many ranges prohibit. Absolutely must work on draw that does not sweep whole horizon as the untrained will do (wrist rotation matters). Likewise learning not to flag all and sundry, including oneself, on reholster.

I used one quite a bit years ago when I was having serious lower back issues. I found it to be quite helpful in that respect. A shoulder holster comes in quite handy if you spend your days seated behind a desk, or for long trips in an automobile. I haven't used one in a long time but they have their niche.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I used one when I was working narcotics and we spent long hours in cars on surveillance details or CI buys. Other than that, I've always thought they sucked. Haven't used it since I gotta outta the dope business.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Good flying, good fishing wading deep, good hunting with a big pack and padded waistbelt, probably good for Jody without pants, OK for a second gun depending upon how you dress, but all in all a specialized niche.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can think I a few times where I wished I had a shoulder holster. That being said my Tupperware gun survived being squished along with me between cows.

Shoulder holster carry is a niche within the range of CCW methods.

Those who spend much of their time sitting down (including driving), or with back problems of different sorts that make waist-hip level carry problematic will recognize their usefulness.

Otherwise, they're admittedly bulky, and slower by far on the draw.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List