Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Importance of a rail on your handgun

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Yeah, I reckon the sight of my pale, fat self wearing nothing but a black and green fanny pack would strike terror into the heart of the hardest-core gangbanger. Some things just should not be seen.
    Gawd, I'm glad someone said that -- before I had to.

Meownself, I'm afraid I'm not even going to have the modesty of a fanny pack. It'll have to be the firearm, WML, and the pistol's standard capacity mag. Run what you brung.

I'm betting that sight will easily cause a regurgitation event.
    http://notonemoregunlaw.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Really wish for polymer frames to have built in light or better yet laser & light .
    Rejoice! Taurus has heard your plea!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The concept of "production lines" does not apply here like you seem to think it does. I would say it does not apply at all. Manufacturing is far more flexible than commonly thought.

In the case of metal frames, there's enough datum commonality between both railed and non-railed frames that I can easily figure out how to do both using the same workholding fixtures and the same machining centers. Making one or the other is as simple as loading the correct blank (if there is even a difference between them) into the fixture and selecting the correct CNC program.

In the case of polymer frames, it is very easy to have replaceable cavity inserts that would make railed or non-railed frames in the same multi-cavity mold.

As far as assembling the pistol itself, it should make no difference whether the frame has rails or not.
    None of this takes away the increased cost of development (ie. dimensional refinement), extra molding fixtures, related jigs, and the simple reality of having extra infrastructure/tooling needed for that portion of the weapon.

Something being technologically easy probably doesn't make it free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    None of this takes away the increased cost of development (ie. dimensional refinement), extra molding fixtures, related jigs, and the simple reality of having extra infrastructure/tooling needed for that portion of the weapon.

Something being technologically easy probably doesn't make it free to do so.
    The cost is far less than you might think.

I do this for a living, not just the technical side but also the business case side......in case you were wondering.

For what it's worth, and bearing with the conversational emphasis on CCWs, the following make lights may be more viable for discrete carry:

Viridian RTL
    Viridian light/laser combos of the previous generation
    Crimson Trace Lightguard
    Insight APL
    Streamlight TLR-3 (I forget if they updated these, as they did the TLR-1)

It's an underserved part of the market, though the more overt-friendly lights are still viable for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The cost is far less than you might think.

I do this for a living, not just the technical side but also the business case side......in case you were wondering.
    Mea culpa; it being free, I stand corrected.

- I prefer a WML on any firearms I'm carrying (and therefore a rail)
    - IME, if I'm in a structure, having someone shoot at a light I'm using isn't really going to matter where I'm holding it. In an open field I might agree.
    - My pistol always has a light on it on and off duty. I work plain clothes so it's a concealed setup unless we are kitted up for a pre-planned op.
    - I always have at least one hand held light on me.
    - Just because I have a light on my weapon doesn't mean I have to use it. This is why tactics are more important than the equipment.
    - Like most, I'm a better shot with2 hands on my weapon. That's where the WML shines IMO. The techniques for a handheld light and having to shoot are slower and more awkward no matter how often they are practiced.
    - Can I accomplish my goals without a weapon light? Of course. I grew up before WML's. Just like I'm at home with iron sights as I grew up with long guns before RDS were prevalent.

The bottom line is that it's a software issue, not a hardware one. That said, give me the rail/light and let me decide how and when to use or not use it. If I became a private citizen tomorrow I'd still carry a pistol with a light mounted to it.

seems to me that lights might be like tracers. they work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    According to the class I took last night, the light is like suppresive fire, use it to disorient, distract and get inside the bad guy's decision making process, move, reilluminate and shoot.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    Oh, Jesus, not the "give away my position " thing again. Look, I'm not laying ambushes for Charlie on the Ho Chi Minh trail. I'm not a soldier or a cop. The only reason I've got my gun out in the first place is because the bad guy knows my position and is, you know, attacking me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List