Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt AR15A4

Colt AR15A4

I have a thing for 20" AR's. I like the way they shoot, look, & feel. So when I discovered Colt had this available, basically a semi auto version of their service rifle sans KAC rail, I snatched it up. I automatically install MagPul trigger guards, grips, & stocks on my AR's, so I opted for the Magpul edition...it was actually substantially cheaper.

Now, the furniture on this model is FDE, which I'm not a huge fan of, but whatever. To my surprise today, when I got the gun, the entire upper & lower were cerakoted in FDE. The gun I ordered was black, but I actually like it so I signed for it. It was a good surprise overall. Pics & a 100yd target to follow.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I think we have been though this before but I also have a soft spot for 20" ARs (or "muskets" as I understand they are called in some circles). Interested to hear how yours shoots. I would love to get me one o those A4 pattern FNs.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I think we have been though this before but I also have a soft spot for 20" ARs (or "muskets" as I understand they are called in some circles). Interested to hear how yours shoots. I would love to get me one o those A4 pattern FNs.
    I have one of those on order too.

My only ar today is a colt 20" A2 with a Vltor A5 stock.

I had a serious hankering for a carbine until I changed out the stock. That solved the majority of my problems.

Sometimes I wish there was an easy way to mount an optic. One day I'll get a flat top upper. The rifles just doesn't see much use as is. It gets carried more while hunting than it gets shot.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I have one of those on order too.
    Pretty sure that would end my marriage right now.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    My only ar today is a colt 20" A2 with a Vltor A5 stock.

I had a serious hankering for a carbine until I changed out the stock. That solved the majority of my problems.

Sometimes I wish there was an easy way to mount an optic. One day I'll get a flat top upper. The rifles just doesn't see much use as is. It gets carried more while hunting than it gets shot.
    What buffer are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Pretty sure that would end my marriage right now.

What buffer are you using?
    The standard A5 buffer and spring combo. Don't recall what Vltor puts in the kit.

Works fine. Recoil impulse feels like the rifle buffer. Great upgrade overall. Even the A1 stock felt a bit long at times.

My own preference for looks and shooting is the standard A-2 rifles. Not as handy getting in and out of vehicles, but its what I tend towards most when the chance comes up. I'm starting a carbine, but it may eventually morph into a rifle. Where I shoot most (and live), its pretty open, and the majority of my practice and fun shooting is between 300 and 800 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    My only ar today is a colt 20" A2 with a Vltor A5 stock....

I had a flat top Colt H-bar in about '05-'06. I tried several different scope mounts and never found one I really liked, and didnt like the front sight showing up so much when the scope was set to low power, I ended up going back to the ARMS carry handle mount. Its the only one I found that never changed zero with handling when I messed with AR's back in the 1900's. I know theres more mount choices, but that worked well for me and I didn't mind the cheek position too much. The bombproof irons were always attached also.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-13-2014 at 04:16 PM.

I have a soft spot for a 20" setup (being the only rifle I've ever slept with and all) and have been looking at the Colt. It's between that and a PSA build kit.

They're really nice to shoot. I'm a little perplexed why Colt didn't make them as close to an exact duplicate of the M-16A4 as possible, but that's an age-old argument.

The MagPul fixed rifle stock seems nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    They're really nice to shoot. I'm a little perplexed why Colt didn't make them as close to an exact duplicate of the M-16A4 as possible, but that's an age-old argument.
    Other than a lack of "happy switch" and most likely a semi-auto bolt carrier, what are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The MagPul fixed rifle stock seems nice.
    They are quite nice! Length of pull seems just right, the trap door storage compartment is well made and generous. I have one for when I want to go "featureless" per Kalifornia law with my carbines. On my A2 that still aspirationally have service rifle matches - I've stuck with the A2 stock per the rules, but if one wasn't married to a GI stock and either didn't want or couldn't have an adjustable stock, the MagPul is a great option.

User Tag List