Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Colt AR15A4

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I want to learn more about the FN A4. I've heard nothing but good things about their barrels but haven't found a lot of info about their complete rifles yet. I've been saving to get back into an AR and the FN is one I'm looking closely at.

I've carried A2's, M4's, and qualified with an A4. The M4's are very handy to carry and make climbing in and out of things a lot less cumbersome. But shooting, and furthermore as a civilian, I think the A4 makes so much more sense.

Some of it might be me getting older but the A4 is so much easier to shoot accurately out to 300 meters. They also feel a lot more balance to me. M4s are awesome for quick in close work. They're not so great at longer ranges, specially when I'm not as quick as I used to be.
    For some reason, not that I care, FN is not currently using their CHF barrels in their rifles & carbines. They do however offer individual CHF barrels for sale, if one was so inclined to install one.

Site Supporter
    I heard last week from an industry source that in a big change from original plans, FN's guns are NOT going to be built to TDP standards, but will be another outsourced parts gun. I don't have any confirmation of that, but if somebody is considering them in a serious gun role, I'd ask some very hard and pointed questions and then look even harder. When I saw the gun introduced at SHOT 2014, I was very encouraged, but now, I'm not so sure.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

My expectation for this rifle is that it will be about on par with the M&P line....maybe not 100% TDP, but quality nonetheless & "good enough" for my needs. I'm just curious to get one & look it over. If I don't like it, I'll send it on down the river.
    I just don't see FN putting out a shoddy product. Plus, it can't be any worse than the DD rifle I briefly owned.
    Last edited by WDW; 12-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I heard last week from an industry source that in a big change from original plans, FN's guns are NOT going to be built to TDP standards, but will be another outsourced parts gun. I don't have any confirmation of that, but if somebody is considering them in a serious gun role, I'd ask some very hard and pointed questions and then look even harder. When I saw the gun introduced at SHOT 2014, I was very encouraged, but now, I'm not so sure.
    I'm going to admit that I don't completely understand the AR TDP. What little I do understand (I think) is that FN can't legally sell a civilian rifle based on the TDP. I thought this was the reason that FN rifles were going to be built in a different facility from the .mil rifles.

As far as that goes, is Colt even able to sell TDP spec rifles to the public? Does it been matter?

Genuinely curious about this. I prefer to buy once. The FN15 and Colt AR15A4 are priced pretty similarly.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    For some reason, not that I care, FN is not currently using their CHF barrels in their rifles & carbines. They do however offer individual CHF barrels for sale, if one was so inclined to install one.
    Very sad to here this as this will be a deal breaker for me. While I would dig the roll mark, I can't see buying a rifle just to have it re barreled when I can get a BCM upper that is every bit its equal...

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Very sad to here this as this will be a deal breaker for me. While I would dig the roll mark, I can't see buying a rifle just to have it re barreled when I can get a BCM upper that is every bit its equal...
    Not really a big deal for me. Colt doesn't use CHF barrels either. I don't shoot enough for it to matter either, to be honest.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Not really a big deal for me. Colt doesn't use CHF barrels either. I don't shoot enough for it to matter either, to be honest.
    Yeah, but FN CHF barrels are considered mythril in some circles....

I don't believe that M16s/M4s have CHF barrels. So if somebody wants a 'milspec' rifle...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...a-barrel-shop/

One of the more interesting things about the FNM barrel shop is that while button rifling is cheaper, everything that they make is cold hammer forged by default. The only reason they even have a button rifling process in the factory is that some U.S. military TDPs or “Technical Data Packages,” which outline product specifications, require the process to be used. But given the choice, J-P seems to prefer producing cold hammer forged barrels instead.

-- Michael

it can't be any worse than the DD rifle I briefly owned.

Joke, obviously. As far as the barrels go, do we know if FN is still manufacturing them or if they're sourcing parts out to other companies and slapping their rollmark on the lower? And why is it that for whatever reason they can't manufacture a "TDP" rifle for the civilian market but Colt can?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I'm going to admit that I don't completely understand the AR TDP. What little I do understand (I think) is that FN can't legally sell a civilian rifle based on the TDP. I thought this was the reason that FN rifles were going to be built in a different facility from the .mil rifles.

As far as that goes, is Colt even able to sell TDP spec rifles to the public? Does it been matter?

Genuinely curious about this. I prefer to buy once. The FN15 and Colt AR15A4 are priced pretty similarly.
    FN and Colt both possess legal versions of the TDP. Colt makes all their commercial, military and LE guns to the TDP and it does matter if you're getting a gun for serious/hard use purposes. If it's a toy for shooting turtles and cans, it doesn't matter. There are no constraints in selling a fully compliant gun to the public and in fact there are plenty of reasons to do so, even if it raises the cost of a unit another $250-300 over the cost of the hobby grade guns.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List