Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead levels

Lead levels

Just finished up my annual physical. This year, I requested to be tested for lead. Apparently, that is not something they do in a "non-industrial" setting, and had to send my blood sample to a special testing lab.

"Normal" is a level of 1-9. My result was 10, just slightly elevated and 1 point above the high end of "normal." I do not shoot indoors, do not hand load, and almost exclusively shoot factory FMJ 9mm ball. I do shoot frequently. I use generic hand wipes, after shooting, and then as soon as possible wash in cold water with soap. I have no special protocol for changing clothes after shooting.

My internal medicine doc didn't seem particularly alarmed, saying levels of 50, 80 or more were the kind requiring aggressive treatment. Any of you been tested for lead, and have any thoughts on this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've been tested with normal results. I was shooting "a lot"* of IDPA matches at the time at a filthy indoor range. One or two of the other shooters there who legitimately shot a lot had just gotten off of chelation therapy for high lead levels so it's a definite problem.

One thing that I did when I was shooting a lot was to take calcium supplements. IIRC they're supposed to help keep your bones full of calcium so the lead can't bind up in there or some damn thing. God knows if my doctor told me to do that or if I read it somewhere on the internet; I knew the answer at one point but as you might could tell I haven't worried about this particular issue for a while since my shooting schedule slacked off a few years ago.

Even shooting FMJ you're going to be exposed to some lead from primers and the bases of the bullets, so if you're worried about it you might (a) try the calcium thing if your investigation shows there's any science behind it and (b) shoot lead free total metal jacketed bullets - not that those don't have a whole other crop of issues.

ETA: I also religiously use nitrile gloves for cleaning now, on the theory that risk of lead exposure doesn't end at the range.

*like once a month...

Site Supporter
    I was also tested at a 10, and I shoot indoors and reload - but I don't cast my own bullets.

I'm fanatical about washing my hands after touching guns and certainly before eating. I haven't been retested in a while, and I'm overdue.

I also make sure to wash my hands twice, and to wash my face. I try to not wear my just been shootin clothes around the house, so long day at the range equals a shower and a change of clothes typically.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I try to not wear my just been shootin clothes around the house,
    Good point, when I get back from the range, I go right to the laundry room and drop my clothes in to the washer. They get washed by themselves.

Lead levels of 10 mcg/dL are of no concern in an adult and are considered essentially normal depending on the variance of the laboratory performing the test. Children are a slightly different story, but we do not recommend serial monitoring in adults with levels less than 20 mcg/dL.

FWIW, a level of 10 might be due to your shooting hobbies, but other environmental exposures (soil, industrial, etc.) stand a very good chance of playing a role in this very low level. Also, we really don't consider treating chronic lead levels less than 60 mcg/dL in adults without symptoms. So, go forth and shoot to your heart's content.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    I was tested for lead and mercury a bunch of years ago as part of an environmental monitoring thing at work (we were testing superfund site soil samples). I thought testing only for those elements and not for other more heinous (and more prevalent) things was a farce. I was Plum Bummed about it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I had myself tested intermittently during the peak of my training 7-8 years ago. I hit 33 once, but never bothered to check again because my shooting tapered off anyway.

Jerry Michulek is still standing, and he'd probably peg the meter if they ever tested him.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Jerry Michulek is still standing, and he'd probably peg the meter if they ever tested him.
    Maybe, maybe not. A lot of lead issues can be mitigated with good cleaning habits. My office building has one of the busiest indoor ranges in the country, and the ROs' blood lead levels are checked regularly. Because of good decontamination procedures (and a pretty good ventilation system) most ROs usually test on the high end of normal.

User Tag List