Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any downsides to 92D spring?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    as I understand it, the E1 hammers had ignition problems, and were switched out by Beretta.
    Is this something That affected all E1s or just E1s with D springs?

Did Beretta switch them out at the factory?

When I purchased my E1 way back in 2000 I put in a Wolf "reduced power" mainspring that I thought was their equivalent of a D spring and fired thousands and thousands of rounds with no issues. I later realized that the Wolf mainspring was still heavier than a D spring and replaced it with a Beretta D spring. I then had my first ever light primer strike. It has only been one in 500 rounds or so, but it has made me wonder?

Damn, I just put an elite hammer in my M9.

as I understand it, the E1 hammers had ignition problems, and were switched out by Beretta.
    What I am curious to know is which one's heavier, E1 or EII?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What I am curious to know is which one's heavier, E1 or EII?
    I seem to recall Todd saying that the E1 hammer was too light, so I assume that means the E2 is heavier.

That will go along with Bill Wilson's findings of heavier hammer hitting harder. Of course, hammer mass alone is a part of the story; velocity is another. Assuming same spring rate, heavier hammer will move slower.

Anyway, I have zero reservations carrying Elite II/D hammer with D spring. If time ever permits, I'll play with 13-15 mainsprings and standard hammer.

I have a wolf 13# in my M9 and have put about 2000 rounds in it since putting it in. Two light primer strikes, one with Tula and one with a handload. They both happened the first time I shot it after the switch. Nothing since then.

I have seen more light strikes in the last year, with Aguila and PMC, through a variety of pistols that are reliable, than I am accustomed to seeing. Makes me wonder whether they have been pumping out ammo like crazy, and something may be slipping.
    I've also had issues with PMC and a Sig 226 over the last year. I had never had any problems with any ammo with that pistol before, but I increased the weight of the mainspring by one pound, which seem to fix the issue. My impression is that PMC is now using a harder primer, but that is only an impression. I've always had a very occasional issue with Aguila (especially the .45 ammo), but I've chalked that up to slightly greater variability due to laxer manufacturing standards, and given the low cost I figure that is an acceptable trade off.

User Tag List