Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW for the disabled?

I think it was Chuck H who talked about carrying a .25 Beretta and using the .22 for practice

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    For people looking for a conventional pistol with an easy slide to work, the new gas-delayed blowback Walther CCP has an extremely soft recoil spring. Just about everybody I've let try it has commented on that fact.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    For people looking for a conventional pistol with an easy slide to work, the new gas-delayed blowback Walther CCP has an extremely soft recoil spring. Just about everybody I've let try it has commented on that fact.
    I got a PK380 for my wife a while back. This looks like it would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I got a PK380 for my wife a while back. This looks like it would be better.
    My wife's PK380 is just about the softest-shooting (centerfire) pistol I've ever fired, but I have to admit that the CCP has me curious. If she could switch to that, then she'd have a more effective caliber, I'd only have to stock one set of components for reloading, and my press settings would never have to change. That said, it's not just recoil she's sensitive to, but blast/concussion, as well, so who knows whether it'd work out.

We had an officer come down with guillan-barre, and ended up with long term nerve damage. He didn't have the grip strength to grasp the slide and rack it. We machined another dovetail on the slide of his Glock 17, in front of the rear sight, and then installed an SJC slide racker. We had to relieve the racker slightly to clear the rear sight notch. That solved the racking the slide problem. He still couldn't shoot worth a flip past 5 yards, but that was a nerve problem and not a gun problem. EGW also makes a hooked shaped racker.

A .25 is a poor choice for a grown man that can physically fight back and the ability to move, it's a poorer choice for someone who can't do either. While something beats nothing, someone that's disabled is better served with a gun that holds a lot of rounds that can reliably punch deep enough to do some serious damage. If your friend can adapt a 9mm semi auto to work, I think he'd be much better off.

How does the felt recoil compare to, say, your Glock 19?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Do the 21's in general run? I shot a friend's and was a jammer - similar to the Taurus PT-22s. Would a 25 ACP be a better solution?
    The 21, IME, is very senstive to ammo. I've had several over the years and all of them were jam-a-matics with some 22 rounds but ran like a Swiss watch wiith the right stuff. That tends to be reflected in conversations with other folks I know that use them a lot.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    How does the felt recoil compare to, say, your Glock 19?
    A little more noticeable. Lighter gun and narrower grip has an effect. Nobody who's fired it (and I let a range of folks of differing experience levels and hand sizes play with it) has mentioned the recoil being at all objectionable.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by czech6 View Post
    We had an officer come down with guillan-barre, and ended up with long term nerve damage. He didn't have the grip strength to grasp the slide and rack it. We machined another dovetail on the slide of his Glock 17, in front of the rear sight, and then installed an SJC slide racker. We had to relieve the racker slightly to clear the rear sight notch. That solved the racking the slide problem. He still couldn't shoot worth a flip past 5 yards, but that was a nerve problem and not a gun problem. EGW also makes a hooked shaped racker.

A .25 is a poor choice for a grown man that can physically fight back and the ability to move, it's a poorer choice for someone who can't do either. While something beats nothing, someone that's disabled is better served with a gun that holds a lot of rounds that can reliably punch deep enough to do some serious damage. If your friend can adapt a 9mm semi auto to work, I think he'd be much better off.
    Thanks,

He is dealing with GBS and owns a G17 so we will see what the amount of residual nerve damage is after a few weeks of PT/OT. I appreciate everyone's responses.
    Energy goes where attention flows.

The one thing I really like about M&Ps is the ability to alter the trigger length with a forward set sear from Apex. For individuals that may end up with limited hand strength and limited dexterity (my father for instance has both after several hand surgeries), a competition level forward set sear can be just the ticket. The addition of a racking device and/or a large rear sight/MRDS can aid in racking ability. My father with limited hand strength and dexterity can get the slide back on his MRDS equipped Full size M&P9 with minimal issues. The extra leverage afforded by the MRDS is what helped him.

If your friend may only be temporarily incapacited (and I hope he is), giving him a loaded g17 and a spare mag may do just fine. If it's loaded when it's empty he should be able to reload from slidelock. Hopefully he has the thumb/grip strength to work the slide release.

User Tag List