Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: YOUR Top 5 carry ammo list

Add me to "Doc's list" as well. I've used four or five of them from the 9mm category. My favorite in terms of feel are the Barnes bullets...mine are made by Black Hills. I seem to have less felt recoil compared to others I've used. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed much difference in felt recoil of one over another?

While I do prefer, and will buy out of pocket, the best ammo I can get, I lose little sleep over not having the newest uber bullet.

Having been in situations where I have to carry the ammo issued to me, and at times that was ball ammo, I don't note that I'd do much differently (except maybe when I have had 9mm ball in my pistol to be sure and line up my shots a bit better if the room is crowded with no-shoots....)

I'm the kind of guy that used to spend a lot of time looking at testing, "what bullet", checking ballistics charts, etc. Waste of time to worry about IMHO.

An example recently would be people I know who, when they found out about the new G2 ammo, started planning on dumping rounds such as the 147gr Ranger-T or the 124gr +P Gold Dot in favor of the newest best thing.

"An example recently would be people I know who, when they found out about the new G2 ammo, started planning on dumping rounds such as the 147gr Ranger-T or the 124gr +P Gold Dot in favor of the newest best thing."
    That would be................................stupid.

If you have good ammo already, use it until it is depleted, then on your next order, switch if you desire. But it is asinine to get rid of proven, perfectly acceptable loads for only minor incremental improvements. Now if you still have Hydrashok or Silvertips as your duty load, then dumping those for G2, Win bonded, Critical Duty, etc... might be prudent.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Whenever I can find some of Doc's approved stuff at a reasonable price I buy some for reliability testing just in case. Up to now I've tested

HST 147 gr standard and +p varieties
    HST 124 gr standard and +p
    PDX1 124 gr +p
    Ranger T 127 gr. +p+
    Golden Saber 124 gr +p bonded
    Golden Saber 147 gr
    Gold Dot 124 gr +p.

I buy whatever's cheapest among those (that I can find of course)

That's for my carry piece which is a CZ 75B SA in 9MM

In 5.56 I usually grab as much Lake City M193 as I can find and call it good...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    An example recently would be people I know who, when they found out about the new G2 ammo, started planning on dumping rounds such as the 147gr Ranger-T or the 124gr +P Gold Dot in favor of the newest best thing.
    Being the nice guy that I am, I'm willing to take this awful old ammo off their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Being the nice guy that I am, I'm willing to take this awful old ammo off their hands.

Get in line buddy.....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm the kind of guy that used to spend a lot of time looking at testing, "what bullet", checking ballistics charts, etc. Waste of time to worry about IMHO.
    Word. I gotta use this stuff up first.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That would be................................stupid.

If you have good ammo already, use it until it is depleted, then on your next order, switch if you desire. But it is asinine to get rid of proven, perfectly acceptable loads for only minor incremental improvements. Now if you still have Hydrashok or Silvertips as your duty load, then dumping those for G2, Win bonded, Critical Duty, etc... might be prudent.
    No don't be dissuading departments from dumping large stocks of 147 gr. Ranger-T or 124 gr +P Gold Dot. Indeed, so long as the folks dumping it aren't from my state (which means as a taxpayer I'd have to pay for it), I am all in favor of them dumping large supplies of it at rock-bottom prices. Indeed, it is a firm American tradition for governments to sell "surplus" ammo for a fraction of the price they paid for it, and I'm looking forward to picking up a large amount of old fashioned 9 mm ammo at half price while they rush into the newest and best offerings.

Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP

Winchester 64gr RA556B

12 ga.

Federal tru ball slugs or Remington sluggers

All of those are issued duty rounds for work

Off duty/back up

9mm

Winchester 147gr ranger t-series (favorite)
    Speer gold dot 124gr +p
    Hornady critical duty +p or standard
    Winchester 147gr ranger bonded
    Federal 147gr HST

Right now I carry 95gr FMJ, but if they feed well, I'll use the Lehigh 90gr XP round once I get to test function. If they don't then hopefully the hornady custom 90gr XTP will
    Last edited by ack495; 12-06-2014 at 09:03 AM.

User Tag List