Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical Competition Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    A marginal hit with a 45 ACP is just as worthless as one with a 9 mm.
    It hardly is that way.

5-3-3-1 for minor, and 5-4-4-2 for major.

It is a balance, particularly for divisions like revolver, single stack, or limited where there is a capacity bonus for minor.

Was the original reason for PF simply due to ballistics or was it due to capacity?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I don't at all dispute that there is a difference between 9mm and .45ACP. I do think the difference is far less than is reflected in USPSA's Major vs. Minor scoring scheme though, where B/C hits are 4 vs. 3 points, and a D is 2 vs. 1 point. That's a 25% or 50% difference for non-A zone hits.

I personally think the difference would be reflected accurately enough by the bigger bullet hitting a more valuable scoring zone a bit more often simply by virtue of being bigger.

Maybe I wrong, but that's why I think that.
    I agree. Is there a way to fix the points to better reflect the marginal differences?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Beware the danger of unintended consequences.

If PF were to be removed, an incentive to shoot more powerful rounds would be removed with it. If every caliber is to be scored equally , then folks will show up on game day with high capacity long barrel .22LRs and FN 5-7s , ammo loaded to the smallest standard capable of cycling the pistol.
    If you go back through some of my responses on this, you'll see that I am in favor of keeping a PF floor to avoid just that.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    It hardly is that way.

5-3-3-1 for minor, and 5-4-4-2 for major.

It is a balance, particularly for divisions like revolver, single stack, or limited where there is a capacity bonus for minor.
    I was referring to the effects on the body, not on the paper target. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Honestly I have no issues with USPSA rules. Including hit factor scoring.

Matches with too many hoser stages annoy me. I like some hard shots. Matches without good reload points for production annoy me, as they are typically again hoser stages (high road count with limited movement).
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterA View Post
    Cody,

If you believe even a little that IDPA is defensive training, you should not avoid about stages that include running - even a lot of running. If it were real, (you're training, right?), running away might be your best option in many situations.

Your finger scenario B seems to tolerate poor/unsafe gun handling.

Chief in my list of IDPA rule dislikes: EMPTY magazine retention. If the rule is about real world tactics, then we should all be required to carry loose rounds in our pockets (and maybe a loading aid) to reload those precious magazines once we reach cover.
    What I tried to communicate was that: I am not opposed to running within moderation. But this is not a running match,,, it's a shooting match. Just because the range is 40 yards X 30 yards doesn't mean you have to use all of it. IDPA has the problem of not allowing enough movement between shooting positions. But I have been to matches where B class shooters were beating Master shooters because the Masters couldn't run as fast. I don't think that is right.

For mags, I just think if they change it to simply dropping an empty mag is OK whether there is a round in the chamber or not.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I enjoy the physical aspect (running) of many USPSA stages. It adds another stressor and gets your heart rate up (how much depends on you).

And I'm no spring chicken either
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 11-06-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    What I tried to communicate was that: I am not opposed to running within moderation. But this is not a running match,,, it's a shooting match. Just because the range is 40 yards X 30 yards doesn't mean you have to use all of it. IDPA has the problem of not allowing enough movement between shooting positions. But I have been to matches where B class shooters were beating Master shooters because the Masters couldn't run as fast. I don't think that is right.

For mags, I just think if they change it to simply dropping an empty mag is OK whether there is a round in the chamber or not.

Cody
    I have never seen this. Was there a 20 yard sprint or something? Rob Leatham can't even run and is still in the top ten in any division he shoots at any match. It is also not because he can stand and shoot better than anyone else. Foot speed is not that critical in USPSA, it deffinitely helps, but there are a bunch of real fat and old dudes kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    I have never seen this. Was there a 20 yard sprint or something? Rob Leatham can't even run and is still in the top ten in any division he shoots at any match. It is also not because he can stand and shoot better than anyone else. Foot speed is not that critical in USPSA, it deffinitely helps, but there are a bunch of real fat and old dudes kicking ass.
    This is how i understand it to be as well.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List