Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA deletes flat-footed reload rule, wants feedback on new division

Thanks, Gabe. This thread encouraged me to give the 19 a try today (also, a worn-out trigger return spring on the 34 and being too lazy to replace it ).

I usually rack up a few match wins in a year at this match, and am disappointed if I'm not in the top 3, so I wouldn't say the 19 allowed me to do something I can't with the 34.

On the minus side: I was using a JMCK IWB #3, and draws were pretty quick, but couldn't match my usual speed with my gamer Blade Tech Black Ice. As well, I was using Ameriglo Operators on the 19 instead of a Dawson FO, and I dropped a -1 on a target array when I lost the front sight. As well, there were some difficult distant targets obscured by no-shoots, and it felt like it took a few 0.1ths longer to get an acceptable sight picture with the 19. Totally subjective of course because it always feels like forever to me to break a tough shot.

On the plus side: I just love how the 19 feels in my hand. It's my favorite gun, and it's what I carry. I can transition faster SHO and especially WHO with the 19 than with the 34, and there was a long stage of that at this match. As well, I found myself shifting to SHO to deal with some tight cover problems. So, using the 19 seemed to bring out some new IDPA tactics for me. I may keep shooting it for a while just to see where it takes me. (I'll be using my G34 for USPSA of course!)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Isn't the development and usage of guns like the Glock 34 introduce a paradox for IDPA? It is gun developed for competition and rarely carried (yes, some small number do). So how is its usage in IDPA true to 'defensive pistol' as compared to a game? To be outrageous - IDPA should not go beyond G17 sized guns - ducking for cover. But unducking - it's all gaming with a small attempt to correlate with carry reality.
    This may be a different application, but I know a few guys working in Federal for State and other agencies, and, if they are Glock guys (not all are), they like to carry their Glock 34's. This is anecdotal, at best. But who else knows people who actually use it as their service pistol?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Isn't the development and usage of guns like the Glock 34 introduce a paradox for IDPA? It is gun developed for competition and rarely carried (yes, some small number do). So how is its usage in IDPA true to 'defensive pistol' as compared to a game? To be outrageous - IDPA should not go beyond G17 sized guns - ducking for cover. But unducking - it's all gaming with a small attempt to correlate with carry reality.
    Wouldn't that eliminate full size 1911's?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    That's a gun with a significant carry history and not developed just for the gaming community. I grant you this is a difficult decision but all the equipment nuances indicate a game away from 'defensive'. And that's OK too.

So would you also rule out STI guns and many other "competition" models? What about fiber optic sights?

So long as IDPA, and some of its adherents, continue to search for that majikal combination of guns, gear, and rules that will allow you to have a game that simulates The Real World (TM) the cognitive disonance will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    This may be a different application, but I know a few guys working in Federal for State and other agencies, and, if they are Glock guys (not all are), they like to carry their Glock 34's. This is anecdotal, at best. But who else knows people who actually use it as their service pistol?
    Cody
    Many more LE folks carrying the G35 than the 34. I do expect that to change as they make a caliber switch.

It's authorized a great deal more than utilized.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Wouldn't that eliminate full size 1911's?
    I think this is the issue. You could introduce a new rule that says only CDP can have a box that big, and the semi-auto's must fit a smaller box. But that makes the admin of the game more complex.

Besides, the genie is out of the bottle (or should I say genie is out of the box?).
    No turning back now. People LOVE to shoot their 34's...I love mine too, I made SSP SS with it...but don't let that get around .
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Add me to the folks who find some dissonance in the classically accepted legitimacy of a full size 1911, but simultaneous illegitimacy of the G34/35 because it's too big for most people to carry.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

That would then imply that 1911's are the only suitable 5" pistol for concealed carry. That's ridiculous.

User Tag List