Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-K mindset

Site Supporter

Pre-K mindset

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...549_story.html

Since I work in a school environment, this caught my attention. Granted I do not work with little kids but college ones.

The author points out the difficulties and lack of utility of lockdown procedures. She bemoans the fact that many of the procedures will fail and leave her helpless. The interesting mindset issues occur towards the end of the article.

There seems to be no conceptualization or consideration that there are better means to fight than waving the fire extinguisher or being a human shield. The solution is controlling guns - without any thought to the rights issue AND the problems of actual making an impact on rampage shooters without some magic wand that makes all guns disappear and no more be built. Such things won't happen in the USA.

I've seen the same thing. I asked someone what would you do if a rampage shooter came into your classroom (even assuming you had some warning). The answer was: What can you do?

Yes, there have been close quarters grappling but a large lecture allows much separation and that won't work before many are dead. Unfortunately, the mindset of armed self-defense is alien to many in the education game. One can speak up but it is only successful in areas with local strong gun cultures.

The Chronicle of Higher Education is running stores of how Utah's campus carry is violating the First Amendment rights of speakers. They don't want to come to campus as their views have brought death threats (from damn idiots). They fear the licensed carrier will lose it and open fire.

She has the mindset of most women and academics: that of a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The Chronicle of Higher Education is running stores of how Utah's campus carry is violating the First Amendment rights of speakers.
    I'm sure no one has ever concealed a weapon illegally to then use it to commit murder.

Site Supporter
    That point was brought up in the commentaries - of how CCW types have lower crime rates than the general public and how a targeted nut will ignore the law.

The argument seems to be that a CCW type will become so outraged at the speaker and open fire - as compared to a targeted nut.

Every once in awhile, you see a prof saying they will quit if campus carry passes. Of course, pointing out that the mall has CCW types in it, escapes them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    She has the mindset of most women and academics: that of a coward.
    That's an incredibly broad brush. I'd bet heavily against that being true. Certainly not here in Texas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Every once in awhile, you see a prof saying they will quit if campus carry passes.

Site Supporter
    That point was brought up in the commentaries - of how CCW types have lower crime rates than the general public .
    I don't have the stats at hand, but, over the past several years, TX CHL holders have had a lower crime rate than Texas LEO's.

IOW... very, very low.

Sorry about the lack of data... Here's a summary argument. Post 1
    http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.p...60485&p=743082
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That's an incredibly broad brush. I'd bet heavily against that being true. Certainly not here in Texas.
    I stand by it

Site Supporter
    Woman and academics.

1. Since I work with TX college students, I can attest to many gun friendly females. Many come from gun friendly environs and intend to get CHLs. Their parents buy them guns.

2. For academics, they are for the most part strongly antifirearms. This is usually seen in those from gun unfriendly areas and political persuasions. I agree that they don't have the conceptualization of personal self-defense. There is a significant minority of gun friendly types.

I do wish more of them would speak out. I'm the blather mouth on the issue at work. But being old, full prof. and tenured (plus reasonably trained for a FOG), I can.

1. Since I work with TX college students, I can attest to many gun friendly females.
    Expand that sample to the whole country and the ratio goes the wrong way very quickly

User Tag List