Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga gel test: Remington #4 buck (27 pellet)

12 ga gel test: Remington #4 buck (27 pellet)

Link to video of test for phones

12 gauge Remington #4 buckshot (27 pellet) fired from 18.5" barrel Mossberg 500A cylinder bore into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 590.5 fps, 3.7"

Impact velocity: 1,245 fps
    Min penetration: 11.0"
    Max penetration: over 14"
    Pellet weight: 19.2 gr
    Pellet diameter: 0.249"

*Note: 7 pellets exited the back of the 14" block. That
    means that 62.5% of the pellets that were captured in
    the block exceeded the 12" minimum requirement.

Thanks for the information. That is better penetration than I would have expected.

Agreed. We've been told that #4 buck is not sufficient for defense but in my entirely inexpert opinion I'd say it's just fine if barrier performance isnt a priority.

DocGKR: "Shawn is right on the money--with adequately hardened, possibly plated shot and good buffering, a #4 buckshot load might work adequately. Of course, a properly designed, LE oriented reduced recoil #1 buckshot would also be very good."

I personally would go with #4 for home defense.

I have seen one dude hit with 4 buck, he caught 25 out of the 27 pellets of old school plain Winchester. He collapsed like a building that imploded, out cold, never moved a bit, and his heart quit beating shortly after that. About half of those pellets exited, but he was kinda skinny.

OTOH, we had one OIS where a screen door slowed down 100% of the pellets from a patter of #4 enough to cause none of them to reach an effective penetration depth on the bad guy shot in that incident. Shot was from across a front yard through the screen door, full value target.

Was it s security screen? Clothing?

I'd bet that #4 buck wouldn't perform nearly as well through barriers and at more than a few paces distance. My HD weapon is a suppressed SBR but our shotgun remains loaded with Federal low recoil 00 buck. Still, I think #4 buck could be a legitimate choice for apartments.

Back in the 70's I accepted the then cutting-edge wisdom that #4 buck was the way to go. I still have some of those shells. And I think for inside-the-house work, it is still a good way to go. Overall, #1 might be better, but I have found it harder to buy (at least at the bargain prices I try to find) and as this video shows, #4 still has a lot to recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Was it s security screen? Clothing?

I'd bet that #4 buck wouldn't perform nearly as well through barriers and at more than a few paces distance. My HD weapon is a suppressed SBR but our shotgun remains loaded with Federal low recoil 00 buck. Still, I think #4 buck could be a legitimate choice for apartments.
    Regular old school screen door. Clothing was jeans and a work shirt, normal every day stuff.

Maybe more about the distance than the obstacle?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Maybe more about the distance than the obstacle?
    Maybe both, but under 20 yards shouldn't be much of a stretch for a buckshot round. I think the 4 buck is just barely on the OK side of effective for anti-personnel use, and anything that gets in the way tips it to the other side. A single #4 buck pellet has less mass than a .22 short bullet

User Tag List