Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSA PTT Bonded vs. Winchester RA556B

SSA PTT Bonded vs. Winchester RA556B

So, my understanding is that SSA is using the same (or very similar) Nosler bullet as the TBBC used in the Winchester FBI load. However, SSA is not known for crimping primers or using sealant. Still, the SSA is readily available at less than half the cost of the RA556B. I have had good luck with other SSA 5.56 and 6.8 SPC ammo under typical range conditions (i.e. not in a swamp or ocean), and can live with the SSA as a back-up and training round if its performance approachs the Winchester load; I have about 200 round of RA556B across my chest rig.

A review of the Internet "literature" ends with Dr. Roberts stating that he planned to test the SSA load in 2012. I have not found a follow-up with results. Has anyone tested this particular load for accuracy or terminal performance?Has anyone had primer problems with this or other SSA loads?
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

The SSA 64gr ppt I have, appears, to be crimped. It is reportedly not sealed. I haven't pulled bullets to check. The stuff shoots well. Never had/seem an issue with this SSA load or any of them personally, ymmv

SSA PTT Bonded vs. Winchester RA556B

Also, the factory Nosler ammo in their defend line, using this bullet, is not crimped or sealed according to a call I placed to Nosler.

The Win RA556B uses a Nosler 64 gr bonded JSP, not the TBBC.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The Win RA556B uses a Nosler 64 gr bonded JSP, not the TBBC.
    Ah, sorry for the mistake. I assume this means that the R556B and SSA PPT Bonded use identical bullets and offer similar terminal performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Has anyone tested this particular load for accuracy . . .?

Molon, thank you. Your contributions are very much appreciated.

Yup--identical bullet. The Winchester loading is better for LE and other hard uses.

DocGKR, could you please tell me why the Winchester load is better if they use the same bullet? The reason I ask is I was going to order a 1,000 rounds of the SSA. The SSA will come to around $13 a box while the wincher is around $30 a box. Thank you

Duty loads should be crimped and sealed; in addition, the Win loading is made for a USG contract with fairly stringent QC protocols.

User Tag List