Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a concept rifle

In my opinion the budget may be a little low for a semi in 308. Given the criteria, I think you would be well into the high end semi market to achieve all those goals. But if the speed of follow up shots and capacity is not one of those criteria, then you indeed may be better off with a bolt gun.

Here is my concept rifle:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm looking at buying one of these
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78093

and one of these
    http://www.suppressedarmament.com/76...s/reapert.html

Not sure if either will do your 800 yard thing or not, but cost:benefits these fit my criteria pretty closely.

My criteria, just to see how it sits with you...

Rifle:
    1. .308 bolt-action
    2. <20" barrel (<18" preferred)
    3. < 7lbs
    4. factory iron sights
    5. factory drill & tap for optic mounts (not "scout", but traditional)
    6. open and unobstructed bolt/loading/ejection area (needs to be able to be loaded/topped-off from the open bolt
    7. <$800 (<$600 would be better)
    8. fixed mag

Silencer:
    1. 7" or less OAL
    2. 1.5" OD
    3. 7.62 bore
    4. <14 oz. (it's nearly 10 oz. depending on mount)
    5. Hider and brake mounts, 7.62 and 5.56 (not sure if the 7.62 can fits on 5.56 mounts yet, have an email in to them)

I have and M&P 10. I currently have a Weaver V16 (4-16) scope on it. I have had the scope for 15+ years. Alas, it is not a MOA combination.

I also have a Ruger GSR in 308 with a Leupold 2.5 Scout Scope. It is not an MOA combination either. Probably needs a better trigger and a bigger scope. Glass bedding might not hurt. It is lighter than the M&P 10.

Lastly, I have a Savage Scout Rifle in 308 with a Leupold 2.5 scout scope. It is not an MOA combination either. It too is lighter than the M&P.

No doubt, the jury is still out on these weapons. I have not spent nearly enough quality time with any of them. I like them all at this point. I am not ready to sell/trade any of them away at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's a little different down here. Completely legal:
    That would be the perfect deer rifle for the extremely thick brush where I hunt, but 5.56 is illegal.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is my concept rifle:

Brockman?

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Brockman?

Okie John
    yep. Model 70, drop box for 6 rounds, NF Compact scope, rail for an Aimpoint or light if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    yep. Model 70, drop box for 6 rounds, NF Compact scope, rail for an Aimpoint or light if desired.
    What's it chambered for?

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What's it chambered for?

Okie John
    .308, but I have a similar one in .260 that is lighter.

Passed on a 392 yard shot, from slung prone, with my pre-64 based .300 WM, just before dark on a nice mule buck. He was part of a group of six, and between them being undisturbed, and the wind blowing, will try for them again tomorrow.

User Tag List