Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritation When People Discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    you can by choice be heavily armed so as to disallow bad guys the ability to kill you before the heart attack catches up with your eating and exercise habits.
    Actually, I think that's a really key philosophical point in any study of self-protection. It is not just about minimizing risks.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Actually, I think that's a really key philosophical point in any study of self-protection. It is not just about minimizing risks.
    I agree, it is about you being able to choose your own path and risks, and not having risks you did not choose imposed on you by sociopathic turds.

Some things are just more important to some than others, for any number of reasons. Those reasons may, or may not, make sense to someone else. Age, ability, health, are all factors in prioritizing needs. Lets not forget about wants and likes as well as needs.

I'm probably a better judge about what I "need" than anyone else. I entertain suggestions, but the you need to do this attitude bothers me a bit. Politeness goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Many years ago it clicked that this is the interwebz. Not reality. The snippet we notice someone discussing is probably not 0.1% of his/her sum. None of it bothers me too much. Just change channels, it's a big world wide web.
    Yep ..... propaganda and half-truths are drawn to internet forums like bugs to a bright light.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

TPI had an epic thread discussing these sorts of priorities, and Craig has a VERY valid point when he said something to the effect of "If you can't keep the average dude from raping you in the shower then the last fucking thing you need is a carbine class".
    The famous TPI Math [emoji6]
    Need to look it up, for some reason I always think it's ten guys in a shower and you can't keep 5 of them from raping you.
    Either way it's pure gold.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post

Its more of a humorous irritation... like: "Let's talk about pistol calibers that can penetrate steel AK magazines at 50 yards and taking on people with rifles..."

I'll bite, since that was my post.

I have low cholesterol, resting heart rate under 60 typically, blood pressure is normal. I smoke guys half my age on our department physical fitness test,,,, I can do 15 pull-ups, 60 push-ups, 80 sit ups in under two minutes, and run two miles any time I feel like it.
    I've been doing various martial arts since I was a kid, including a bit of boxing and wrestling, and I am certified as an instructor or instructor-trainer in seven different LE DT systems. I've been teaching, and using OC spray since the late '80s.
    I wear my vest every day I am at work, and my seat belt every time I am in a moving car. I drive defensively, and always use a speed appropriate to the driving conditions.
    I have attended numerous first aid and TCCC classes over the years, and successfully used this knowledge in the real world.

I've worked the street for 25 out of my 28 years as an LEO, spent 3 years as our rangemaster, 18 years in SWAT on a team active enough for me to have logged over 2000 entries/activities,,,,, while I was working a beat car for ten years I had the highest felony arrest rate on my entire department, I like to think my bad guy radar is rather fine tuned.

I've shot as a solid A class in USPSA back before production was a thing, using a S&W 5906 from a security holster. I'm currently shooting Expert in IDPA with a stock G19 drawn from under a T-shirt, carried in a Milt Sparks Summer Special, none of which enhances my "game" equipment wise.

I have attended active-shooter incidents twice in my career. This makes me a statistical anomaly right from the get-go. I have studied the active-shooter problem in CONUS since before Columbine. (I'll note in just that event the bad guys were wearing a lot of gear, and the inability of the SRO on scene to make hits with his service pistol at distance while the bad guys were in the parking lot allowed then to get inside the school and continue the murder spree).

At this point in my life I would challenge you to critique me taking some time to think about capable service ammo that I might carry in my EDC off-duty Glock 19, or my ability to use that gun at longer than "average" range.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-28-2014 at 02:32 PM.

...the truth is that this is America, where you can by choice be heavily armed so as to disallow bad guys the ability to kill you before the heart attack catches up with your eating and exercise habits.
    Well, yes.

I think it's a category mistake when we start talking about the physical shape people are in at the same time as we're talking about self defense skills and choices, though. Unlike exercise, a gun won't add even a single extra day to your normal lifespan no matter how often you carry it or how well you can use it. But that's not its purpose.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    If you are talking about awareness and strategies of avoidance, you should be talking about diet and exercise.
    Or when you're responsibility enjoying whatever you're eating, and someone starts whining about how they can't stick to their diet and how many calories are in whatever while stuffing their fat face.

I'll bite, since that was my post.

I have low cholesterol, resting heart rate under 60 typically, blood pressure is normal. I smoke guys half my age on our department physical fitness test,,,, I can do 15 pull-ups, 60 push-ups, 80 sit ups in under two minutes, and run two miles any time I feel like it.
    I've been doing various martial arts since I was a kid, including a bit of boxing and wrestling, and I am certified as an instructor or instructor-trainer in seven different LE DT systems. I've been teaching, and using OC spray since the late '80s.
    I wear my vest every day I am at work, and my seat belt every time I am in a moving car. I drive defensively, and always use a speed appropriate to the driving conditions.
    I have attended numerous first aid and TCCC classes over the years, and successfully used this knowledge in the real world.

I've worked the street for 25 out of my 28 years as an LEO, spent 3 years as our rangemaster, 18 years in SWAT on a team active enough for me to have logged over 2000 entries/activities,,,,, while I was working a beat car for ten years I had the highest felony arrest rate on my entire department, I like to think my bad guy radar is rather fine tuned.

I've shot as a solid A class in USPSA back before production was a thing, using a S&W 5906 from a security holster. I'm currently shooting Expert in IDPA with a stock G19 drawn from under a T-shirt, carried in a Milt Sparks Summer Special, none of which enhances my "game" equipment wise.

I have attended active-shooter incidents twice in my career. This makes me a statistical anomaly right from the get-go. I have studied the active-shooter problem in CONUS since before Columbine. (I'll note in just that event the bad guys were wearing a lot of gear, and the inability of the SRO on scene to make hits with his service pistol at distance while the bad guys were in the parking lot allowed then to get inside the school and continue the murder spree).

At this point in my life I would challenge you to critique me taking some time to think about capable service ammo that I might carry in my EDC off-duty Glock 19, or my ability to use that gun at longer than "average" range.
    No... Don't misunderstand me... Your stuff is always great, and I pay extra attention to your posts and value your insight.

I also wouldn't argue that it is a reasonable thing to consider AK mag penetration/ammo consideration... I didn't intend to pick on you or disagree with you, it was just an example of the following:

I think I am just reaching a point here where I am surprised about what subjects are heavily analyzed to the point of every feasible situation being picked apart, and yet there are many aspects of self-defense that get very little discussion/consideration.

Like I said: This is pistol-forum.com, not self-defense-forum.com... I understand that now. (I'm changing to lurker mode.)

I'll go sit in the corner now...

warpedcamshaft - I want to be really clear that I have no problem with you personally and I would never ask for you to refrain from posting what you want.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List