Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritation When People Discuss...

Irritation When People Discuss...

A minor rant inspired by another thread:

Do you get irritated when other people talk about something that conflicts with your idea of what's important, likely, or realistic?

The tsk tsk tsk usually goes something like this -

If you are talking about long guns, you should be talking about capable handguns.

If you are talking about capable handguns, you should be talking about realistic-to-carry-in-a-formal-business-setting pocket guns.

If you are talking about handguns at all, you should be talking about grappling or pepper spray.

If you are talking about grappling or pepper spray, you should be talking about awareness and strategies of avoidance.

If you are talking about awareness and strategies of avoidance, you should be talking about diet and exercise.

And if you are talking about how one person armed with a pistol and some mindset, skills, and tactics might go about destructernating a squad of dunces with rifles, then send off your application to the Office of Mall Ninjery right now. (I already put mine in the mail, BTW. )

And on and on and on.

-

Or maybe whoever wants to could talk about any of it because it's all worthy. These subtopics are not mutually exclusive.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I confess, I get irritated by it. I get irritated when a guy who is more likely to be killed by what he ate for lunch is talking about how he "needs" to train for 25 yard headshots because mooselimbs may appear at the food court and interrupt his gorge at any moment.

But, if that same guy says he just likes working on being as accurate as he can, as far from the target as he can, in the shortest amount of time that he can, and has some technical tidbit to offer relative to that pursuit, I'm all ears.

I also confess that I like to take the piss out of the overwhelming number of people here that share the same paranoid delusions that they trump up as excuses for simply doing something that is fun.

But, the internet gives us a narrow view of a person, especially on a topic-spedific forum like this. When I shared those paranoid delusions a lot of people that I traded posts with seemed to think that I just walked around all day worrying about this stuff. I didn't. Of course, I spend even LESS time worrying about it now, but even then it was a pretty insignificant amount of my time.

While the topics are perhaps not mutually exclusive, what one person perceives to be hypocrisy in another will (and should) greatly affect the perception of said hypocrite's credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    A minor rant inspired by another thread:

Do you get irritated when other people talk about something that conflicts with your idea of what's important, likely, or realistic?

The tsk tsk tsk usually goes something like this -

If you are talking about long guns, you should be talking about capable handguns.

If you are talking about capable handguns, you should be talking about realistic-to-carry-in-a-formal-business-setting pocket guns.

If you are talking about handguns at all, you should be talking about grappling or pepper spray.

If you are talking about grappling or pepper spray, you should be talking about awareness and strategies of avoidance.

If you are talking about awareness and strategies of avoidance, you should be talking about diet and exercise.

And if you are talking about how one person armed with a pistol and some mindset, skills, and tactics might go about destructernating a squad of dunces with rifles, then send off your application to the Office of Mall Ninjery right now. (I already put mine in the mail, BTW. )

And on and on and on.

-

Or maybe whoever wants to could talk about any of it because it's all worthy. These subtopics are not mutually exclusive.
    "Anybody who carries a larger gun/larger caliber/more bullets than me is paranoid. Anybody who carries a smaller caliber/smaller gun/less bullets is pathetic sheeple."
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

TPI had an epic thread discussing these sorts of priorities, and Craig has a VERY valid point when he said something to the effect of "If you can't keep the average dude from raping you in the shower then the last fucking thing you need is a carbine class".

While I agree with what you guys are saying, and I often point that out to guys trying to be more tactical than thou at the local IDPA club when they aren't in good enough shape to jog across a typical street, the truth is that this is America, where you can by choice be heavily armed so as to disallow bad guys the ability to kill you before the heart attack catches up with your eating and exercise habits.

Since you are essentially calling me out... Yes... a little bit.

Its more of a humorous irritation... like: "Let's talk about pistol calibers that can penetrate steel AK magazines at 50 yards and taking on people with rifles..."

At the end of the day... this is a pistol forum, not a self defense forum... I get that now. Time for me to move on...

I'll confess that I'm just trying to find/keep the fun in shooting. Far, fast, acurrate, often, or whatever combination of the above happens to be at the moment.

I stopped worrying about scenarios or what other people do, so it no longer irritates me if someone points out X when the discussion's around Y. Life's full of compromises and we all make our own based on our own set of criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    TPI had an epic thread discussing these sorts of priorities, and Craig has a VERY valid point when he said something to the effect of "If you can't keep the average dude from raping you in the shower then the last fucking thing you need is a carbine class".

While I agree with what you guys are saying, and I often point that out to guys trying to be more tactical than thou at the local IDPA club when they aren't in good enough shape to jog across a typical street, the truth is that this is America, where you can by choice be heavily armed so as to disallow bad guys the ability to kill you before the heart attack catches up with your eating and exercise habits.

YES !

I feel like it's generally not my place to tell other grown-ups what I think they should be worried about or what their priorities ought to be.

If they are advocating for something dangerous or stupid, a correction is in order. If they want to talk about fighting off bad guys in Mumbai instead of at midnight at the stop'n'rob, ok. Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Since you are essentially calling me out... Yes... a little bit.

Its more of a humorous irritation... like: "Let's talk about pistol calibers that can penetrate steel AK magazines at 50 yards and taking on people with rifles..."

At the end of the day... this is a pistol forum, not a self defense forum... I get that now. Time for me to move on...
    Your post was just one of many I've seen over time (not from you.) And I don't mean insult to you in this. It's a pattern of a certain type of post that I wanted to address.

I have no quarrel with you believing pepper spray is more likely to be needed than to take on multiple rifle guys using a pistol. No disagreement. I just don't think the latter is an unworthy topic of discussion, and I think there is room for all of it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Many years ago it clicked that this is the interwebz. Not reality. The snippet we notice someone discussing is probably not 0.1% of his/her sum. None of it bothers me too much. Just change channels, it's a big world wide web.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List