Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W and Glocks

[QUOTE=Chuck Haggard;264935]Nope, and I tested the crap out of every available combination.[/QUOTE}

This is way off topic, but your answer (as well as pretty much everything Doc writes) reminds me again just how many of the people on this forum are way ahead of everyone else when it comes to thinking through firearms-related issues. I learn something everytime I come here.

How did you guys get so many stars on one forum?

[QUOTE=Jeep;264949]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Nope, and I tested the crap out of every available combination.[/QUOTE}

This is way off topic, but your answer (as well as pretty much everything Doc writes) reminds me again just how many of the people on this forum are way ahead of everyone else when it comes to thinking through firearms-related issues. I learn something everytime I come here.

They all got sick of mediating the threads on other forums to keep the peace
    Energy goes where attention flows.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The G35 slide weights approximately 1 oz. more than a G22 slide.
    Thanks for the response. It was my previous understanding that the bare slides weighed the same but the additional weight comparing the completed slides making the G35 heavier was in the longer barrel.

Much appreciated.
    Energy goes where attention flows.

[QUOTE=Jeep;264949]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Nope, and I tested the crap out of every available combination.[/QUOTE}

I appreciate the thought, but at the time I was just trying to take care of my troops, just doing my job as it were.

At that time I tested ammo from 88gr to 158gr, +P+ to subsonic, NATO ball, IMI black tip, Swedish/Norma AP ammo, some of that Hirtenberger and L7a1 that was "OH MA GERD!!!! SMGs ONLY!!!" high pressure stuff I had in my stash, even tried CCI snake shot (it also ran fine).
    I used every light available on the market in 2006, including a prototype that Ken Good loaned me that had rails I could overtighten to make it worse than normal.
    Shot the guns dry, lubed, overlubed, dirty as hell, heated to 125 degrees in an oven, frozen in the freezer, once burned 5700 rounds in one afternoon, etc.

Those 3rd gen G17s ran like the AK47 of legend.

The only issues I have seen since has been the well known crappy extractor issues some of the guns have had, which exhibited mostly as brass-to-face, and since appear to be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
    Thanks for the response. It was my previous understanding that the bare slides weighed the same but the additional weight comparing the completed slides making the G35 heavier was in the longer barrel.

Much appreciated.
    The G35 weights approximately 2 oz. more than a G22 and I think the G35 slide weights approximately 1 oz. more than a G22 slide but at my age my memory is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Let me ask this question generally. Is anyone aware of similar problems with WML's with G-17's? I haven't heard any word of that (and of course there were plenty of early Gen 4 G-17 problems of other sorts) but has anyone experienced WML-related failures with them?
    No, I am not. In our limited experience so far with G17s and WMLs, we have not see any issues. Our testing included both SF X300Us and Streamlight TLR1s. Our instructors did a recent 2 day class with an outside instructor, more than half (10+) had WMLs on the pistols - no problems.

In talking with the program manager at a specific federal agency, I was told they had not experienced any issues with WMLs in their 9mm Glock testing of over a couple hundred thousand rounds.

I'm guessing the number of agencies that deployed Glocks in .357 Sig is somewhere around an order of magnitude lower than the number of agencies with .40's, but I'm wondering if they had similar problems?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm guessing the number of agencies that deployed Glocks in .357 Sig is somewhere around an order of magnitude lower than the number of agencies with .40's, but I'm wondering if they had similar problems?
    Didn't say it in the other thread, but I am very curious of the same....

But I'm willing to bet it's all about sample size. Same percentage of turds...different pool.

[QUOTE=Chuck Haggard;264956]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post

I appreciate the thought, but at the time I was just trying to take care of my troops, just doing my job as it were.

At that time I tested ammo from 88gr to 158gr, +P+ to subsonic, NATO ball, IMI black tip, Swedish/Norma AP ammo, some of that Hirtenberger and L7a1 that was "OH MA GERD!!!! SMGs ONLY!!!" high pressure stuff I had in my stash, even tried CCI snake shot (it also ran fine).
    I used every light available on the market in 2006, including a prototype that Ken Good loaned me that had rails I could overtighten to make it worse than normal.
    Shot the guns dry, lubed, overlubed, dirty as hell, heated to 125 degrees in an oven, frozen in the freezer, once burned 5700 rounds in one afternoon, etc.

Those 3rd gen G17s ran like the AK47 of legend.

The only issues I have seen since has been the well known crappy extractor issues some of the guns have had, which exhibited mostly as brass-to-face, and since appear to be resolved.
    Chuck: Terrific job on testing--just what it needed. Of course, that just reinforces the point I made above! Anyway, this is a great thread and I'm going to go silent now and learn some more.

Many of the maintenance issues noted with the Glock .40s were also present in the .357s, which explains why so many agencies that had G31s for issue got away from them.

I have not noted as many issues with WMLs on the G31s, but there were some that I saw, and I have a theory about bullet weight and how the rounds stack in the mag differently with the .40 rounds vs the .357s

User Tag List