Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Match - Couldn't shoot but was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pyzik View Post
    I talked to both "directors" (?) and was told that being the last match of the year and that since I had never been to a match that it would not be a good fit for me to shoot.
    I did try to explain that I was NOT new to pistol shooting, even drawing, moving & shooting, ect. That I've taken multiple pistol classes.
    They said training/classes have nothing to do with competition so that was irrelevant. Which I didn't really understand.
    The directors sound like arrogant insular dickheads. Their sandbox and you can't play in it !
    If they are the only game in town however, you might go and play and see if you can meet members that are better people.

I have to agree with everybody else regarding the match directors - they need to extricate the splintery wood from their posterior orifices. At my local club, the last match of the year doesn't even count for season standings - it's just a "for fun" match + awards night. It'd be mildly weird for somebody new to show up at the last match, but if they did, we'd be encouraging them to shoot with us, just like we do whenever anybody new shows up. Too bad this place is the only game in town for you, and here's hoping you have a better experience with the first match of next year, presuming you choose to attend.

I talked to both "directors" (?) and was told that being the last match of the year and that since I had never been to a match that it would not be a good fit for me to shoot.
    I did try to explain that I was NOT new to pistol shooting, even drawing, moving & shooting, ect. That I've taken multiple pistol classes.
    They said training/classes have nothing to do with competition so that was irrelevant. Which I didn't really understand.
    Those guys sound like douchenozzles.

You definitely have the base you need to safely (and that is the operative word here) shoot a USPSA match.

This past Sunday was the end of the season blast at one of the clubs I frequent. Huge (for a monthly club match) attendance (nearly 80), two 50 round stages, one blind stage, a steel hosefest, and a couple other goodies and I saw at least 10 new shooters at the new shooter briefing.

pyzic, I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't allowed to shoot. That seems extremely messed up. I've had a great experience in USPSA, so it really bothers me to hear that you were excluded like that.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Those guys sound like douchenozzles.
    Yep. Every competition and hobby has them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Bummer you had to sit out the match, but glad you are stoked to get into the game. I'd understand making a newbie sit out some big dollar invitational match with limited slots and time constraints, it just a plane Jane local club match. Wow. Last one I shot every one there was super stoked to have a new face/ FNG to beat up on. Hopefully your next experience will be more positive.

pyzik, whereabouts do you live (general location is fine)? Maybe we can help find you a better place that you didn't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    That is really unbelievable.
    Seriously. Petty fiefdom mentality.

When I did a look-see that first time, no less than 5 people pinged me with, "Why aren't you shooting...?"

We know that OAK makes us look like Little Lord Fauntleroy in terms of competition experience/throughput. If HE thinks pyzik's experience was messed up....that's a clue.

JMS, thank you for the many lulz....

But my competition experience is small compared to many others. After hearing about the regionalism apparently involved in the shooting sports, I think I basically lucked out to be in a place with a positive and well-run USPSA culture.

I would have thought it universal for a club to enable and assist new shooters as much as possible though.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I'm a match director. I wonder if what they meant was "This is our last match of the year and we pull out all the stops. Shepherding a new competitor might crimp our style and this match determines who wins the Greater Northeast Buttfuckery Annual Big Match so nothing can interfere with the chance to win such a prestigious title."

Our procedure if an unknown shooter shows up to compete is to have one of the RO's evaluate their gear for safety (proper holster and such) and then take them over to an unused bay or the safety area (depending on what's available) and run them through the range commands then have them demonstrate safe technique in drawing, loading, reloading, showing clear, etc and maybe have them put a few rounds into a sample target if they have the ammo to spare. During the match the RO knows they are new and will keep an extremely close eye on them for muzzle and trigger discipline (more so than normal). The only reason they wouldn't be allowed to shoot is if their gear is unsafe and unfixable (hasn't happened yet).

We do have one match a year that new shooters are not allowed. That's our low light match where the entire match is done at night with just the shooter's light on. That's not the environment you want an unknown commodity running around shooting and scooting since the RO is less able to monitor shooter safety and behavior.

Example
    Last edited by Lomshek; 10-28-2014 at 10:29 PM.

User Tag List