Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Thugs, Adaptation,& Concealed Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Holy crap! How did the MPs at the base react when you told them one of their anti-tank weapons had gone missing?
    Rank & file MP's? If they didn't sign for it, they don't care.

The guy who signed for and was accountable for those items would no doubt be hating life......

Holy crap! How did the MPs at the base react when you told them one of their anti-tank weapons had gone missing?
    They were like, "really, let's call CID." If I hadn't signed for it it would not have phased me. The subsequent lock down would have though. We never had anything go missing as far as a weapon. My first 2 years 10 months was nuke security (watching paint dry was more fun) and we never went anywhere with less than 2 people while in a limited area. If we lost one freaking round we had to search til we found it. And Lord help the pogue that lost it.

We did have the occasional gang member pop up. They usually did something stupid enough for someone to figure them out. They then made quick work of them and sent them packing. I often wondered how who ever did their background didn't pick up on it because we all had to have security clearances.

It's common here for folks not in that bad a shape to drive to the next town over to seek treatment to try and avoid us connecting the dots on what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Rank & file MP's? If they didn't sign for it, they don't care.

The guy who signed for and was accountable for those items would no doubt be hating life......
    That's about it. The amusing part was this: the bangers had never used it because they couldn't figure out how it worked. Amusing because it doesn't get much simpler than that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's about it. The amusing part was this: the bangers had never used it because they couldn't figure out how it worked. Amusing because it doesn't get much simpler than that.
    Cunning enough to steal a LAW from the armory on a military base, but not smart enough to steal the instructions. You can't make this stuff up.

Cunning enough to steal a LAW from the armory on a military base, but not smart enough to steal the instructions. You can't make this stuff up.
    It's been a while since I have fired one, but if I remember correctly the instructions were printed on the side. That was a couple of (okay, three) decades ago.

Of course, that does presuppose the ability to read English as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's been a while since I have fired one, but if I remember correctly the instructions were printed on the side. That was a couple of (okay, three) decades ago.

Of course, that does presuppose the ability to read English as well.
    Not even that, it's got those comic book type instructions, at least the last couple I fired did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not even that, it's got those comic book type instructions, at least the last couple I fired did.
    Indeed. Lest we get too critical of the disenfranchized bottom feeders, I've had to assist many average citizens who couldn't figure out the idiot illustrations on their car jack.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Got curious about this and did some poking around:
    Thanks for the paper references, Terence.

This discussion reminds me quite a bit of an old exercise that one particular instructor used to run on new classes learning aspects of the targeting disciplines. The exercise assumed a problem that "everyone knew" did not really exist, as a thought experiment to examine how illicit transactions are conducted and how organizations develop from those transactions. For many years, the chosen example was organ smuggling. The original exercise design was based off the the debunked urban legends of drunk / drugged tourists waking up in a bathtub the next morning short one kidney, but asked the students to think about what kinds of activity would be involved if organ harvest and illicit sales really were occurring at scale.

A funny thing happened in those exercises, though. Just asking the question surfaced a whole lot of anecdotal stories, and leads to other information. And suddenly, what everyone knew wasn't possible started showing up right in front of more than one class. The interagency and international dynamics of the classes were actually very important to this - turns out there is a lot of stuff that just gets buried because it was assumed that there couldn't have been more to it than just one or two weird stories half remembered. At one point, a few students actually had been running cases where the issue was definitely in play - just not conducted how the urban legend assumed. Think corrupt influence on traditional medical practitioners, subversion of associated industry trades just outside of normal medical regulation, international medical tourism drivers, etc. Fast forward a few years, and major cases start making headline news - such as the incidents where mortuary services groups were selling tissue sourced from corpses to organ brokers.

I would not really be surprised to see a similar dynamic at work for provision of medical services outside of reportable channels to treat GSW. The argument of bad actor statics for prior survived wounds versus disclosed regional datasets is worth taking note of. I also wonder what kinds of correlations one might see looking at dumped bodies with some evidence of attempted (unsuccessful) treatment....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm reminded of an anecdote from the various bush wars in Southern Africa in the 1970's - 1980's, where Marxist insurgents would attempt to fire rifle grenades from their Yugoslavian M59/66 carbines using a ball round, with predictable (and life altering) results.

User Tag List