Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo opinions please

The 147gr Ranger-T is still the LAPD 9mm issued load even after all these years, because it works according to my sources, and works really well.

I'd carry any of the Ranger-T 9mm or .40 loads without losing any sleep over it. We issued the 124gr +P back in 2006 and had good service from it.

I just ordered a couple boxes of HST 147gr. From ccwammo.com the other day. Don't know if its still in stock now...

I'm amazed at how much SD ammo people here go through. I fire enough to confirm function and zero, buy a few extra boxes, and call it a day. Everything else is done with reloads or factory training ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'm amazed at how much SD ammo people here go through. I fire enough to confirm function and zero, buy a few extra boxes, and call it a day. Everything else is done with reloads or factory training ammo.
    Ditto. But I think I know WHY... it's due to the never-ending search for The Perfect Self-Defense Round.

Personally, I think we have hit that plateau some time back. Until guided and/or explosive rounds can be bought for your Glock, over the counter, the rest of it is just a merry-go-round.

IOW, pick a reputable service load; one that meets your expectations and that you can shoot accurately and reliably in your carry piece. The rest is simply mental masturbation.

I'm amazed at how much SD ammo people here go through. I fire enough to confirm function and zero, buy a few extra boxes, and call it a day. .
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

IOW, pick a reputable service load; one that meets your expectations and that you can shoot accurately and reliably in your carry piece.
    But multiply that X how many weapons you have in that caliber.....the numbers can get up there.

For example, Speer +P 124 gr. Gold Dot shoots to point of aim in my G23/9 and Kahr CM9. It did not shoot to POA in my G26. Since the G26 didn't do anything better for me than the other two, it went away. But if I'd wanted to keep it, it would be back to the drawing board with another load.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    But multiply that X how many weapons you have in that caliber.....the numbers can get up there.

For example, Speer +P 124 gr. Gold Dot shoots to point of aim in my G23/9 and Kahr CM9. It did not shoot to POA in my G26. Since the G26 didn't do anything better for me than the other two, it went away. But if I'd wanted to keep it, it would be back to the drawing board with another load.
    Or change the sights on the G26.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Or change the sights on the G26.
    Touche`

For me it has to do with how often I have to chamber and unchamber rounds, and the quantities of defense ammo I can buy at a time. Whenever I chamber a round and unchamber it, it goes into the range box. I have to do that a lot because of where I work and how I cary. And I can only buy a box or two of ammo at a time because I simply can't afford to buy a thousand rounds at once. Often when it's time to buy more I can't find the stuff I've already checked fo reliability in my gun so I have to get a different load, and then I have to shoot some of it at the range to test for reliability again.

...It's a viscious cycle...

I cycle my carry ammunition when the rounds start to show a little set back or the case rim starts to look a bit chewed on. Those rounds then get put into the box of qualification ammo. Discarding a round after a single chambering seems pretty excessive to me and rather expensive. Then again, I adhere to the principal of having at least two guns of the same type, one for training and one for carry. The carry piece doesn't get unloaded that often. If I was forced to finger f*** my gun on a daily basis my ammo concerns might be different. I use handloads for everything except carry and I grit my teeth every time I have to buy factory ammo. I don't espouse to the flavor of the month club either, so changing my carry gun is a rather rare occurrence. Consequently, the need to experiment with different loads is fairly rare as well.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Then again, I adhere to the principal of having at least two guns of the same type, one for training and one for carry. The carry piece doesn't get unloaded that often.
    This, big-time. It, and not having to worry about cleaning immediately following a range session, are IMO the two main reasons for having at least two of your primary carry piece.

For those who can't (or won't) maintain two identical pistols and must reload with carry ammo after each session: if you rotate that chambered cartridge to the bottom of the magazine each time, you won't have to discard as often. Of course, this also entails keeping track of WHERE each round is in the stack, over a period of time. If you're anal enough to do that, I suspect you're smart enough to maintain a second pistol.

In any event, if you use the same magazines for training and carry, keep a close eye on the mag springs and replace them when they have "shortened". Shortened by how much depends on the length and quality of the spring.

User Tag List