Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield - no thumb safety version - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It's a 12 year warranty on TFOs, but the best warranty is the one you'll never need. Regardless of the duration, they're junk.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...lowarrent.jpeg
    Few years back when I was behind the counter at a local shop the back of the packaging in fine print stated a 90 day warranty lol...... Good to see they have at least extended that now.

See part of paragraph on TFO sights:

https://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Night%20Sights
    Last edited by Fire-Medic; 11-01-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added link
    Energy goes where attention flows.

Feeling like a Probie after serial head smacks from Gibbs. The steel base on the TFO seems solid. I'll admit that the FO day brightness is less than most straight FO sights due to the limited light entry surface area of the design. Surprised at the fragility report but take your word on it. I'm here to learn after all. Good News? Only $50 invested and the 9c is a house gun so won't get beat on much. More Good News......haven't bought the Shield yet so no wasted sight money.....actually think the stock sights are pretty good also.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

FWIW, I would stay away from the TFOs as well. I think the Ameriglo CAP sights are quite good, especially for the money. I prefer a CAP (or Hack) front and Operator rear (yellow) on my carry guns these days.

Thanks, Swat lt. Just took a look at the Ameriglo line again and, as you said, good price point and design options.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Quote Originally Posted by GK17 View Post
    haven't bought the Shield yet so no wasted sight money.....actually think the stock sights are pretty good also.
    Trijicon HD have worked out quite well for the Shield, if you are looking. The stock sights are not bad, for plain dots, but do limit one hand manipulations due to the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    I just went through the same dilemma. I bought the Ruger LC9s 6 weeks ago and have already sold it and replaced it with the Shield. The Ruger was dropping the magazine under recoil 2-3 times per 100 rounds. Appears to be an issue for left handed users. My Shield has the safety. For a short thumbed user with medium hands it's the first external safety I have ever liked. I plan on using it when I finish converting to appendix only carry.

The 4" XDS was not available for rent yet.

What do you think was causing the mag to drop on the LC9s?

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    FWIW, I would stay away from the TFOs as well. I think the Ameriglo CAP sights are quite good, especially for the money. I prefer a CAP (or Hack) front and Operator rear (yellow) on my carry guns these days.
    This is the same sights that i have on both my Shield and my Wife's. I put the CAP's on my issued M&P also. These really help with middle-aged eyesight.

KeithH

Can you elaborate on what you think caused the mag to drop from the LC9s? I've yet to even hold an LC9s; however, I've thought about taking a serious look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    KeithH

Can you elaborate on what you think caused the mag to drop from the LC9s? I've yet to even hold an LC9s; however, I've thought about taking a serious look at it.
    In my sample, the design of the gun forces the edge of my middle finger (the finger under my trigger finger) to ride up on the edge of the magazine release. You can see where the design engineers anticipated a problem since they beveled the mag release to try and stop this conflict from happening. With extreme grip pressure I can induce the magazine to drop with no recoil present. (It's hard but I can make it happen). I don't know if a right handed person would ever have this issue. And I have no way of knowing if that is the only reason or the real reason the magazine was dropping. I have medium sized hands, with slender fingers and little padding.

When loading a magazine in the gun, I did not like the way the lockup felt in general...something about it just seemed off. It was not a very positive click. That's a really subjective observation that has little value. It just didn't feel right.

Outside of that it was an outstanding weapon. Loved the trigger but having lost all confidence in the gun I decided not to pursue a remedy with Ruger. I disclosed my issue to the purchaser before trading it on the Shield..

I had no other failures of any type aside from the magazine dropping. I based my Shield purchase on the recommendations of outstanding reliability since it's my everyday carry. It's been rock solid. Not a pocket gun but neither is the LC9s. I am abandoning pocket carry in favor of appendix carry so the small difference in size and weight was no longer relevant.

Regards

KeithH, Thanks for the details. I am right handed so maybe that issue wouldn't come into play for me. I am going to see if the local range rents them. I'd like to see what the LC9s offers.

User Tag List