Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield - no thumb safety version - thoughts?

Yes you are on the right track.

But personally, I would skip the last two...

Thanks BT. I actually value opinions a lot more than my signature might indicate. Only selling points for me on the XDs are the grip safety and 4" barrel aspects, LC9s has Ruger service going for it but neither one hits the total points of the Shield on my scorepad.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Quote Originally Posted by GK17 View Post
    Gentlemen, I'd appreciate your input as well. For a primary EDC my list is down to the Shield9 NTS, Ruger LC9s & Springfield's XDs 4.0. The Shield has a 3 length lead at the final turn and looks to be the likely winner. Still need to shoot all 3 but am I on the right track?
    I just went through the same dilemma. I bought the Ruger LC9s 6 weeks ago and have already sold it and replaced it with the Shield. The Ruger was dropping the magazine under recoil 2-3 times per 100 rounds. Appears to be an issue for left handed users. My Shield has the safety. For a short thumbed user with medium hands it's the first external safety I have ever liked. I plan on using it when I finish converting to appendix only carry.

The 4" XDS was not available for rent yet.

Thanks, Keith. The LC9s dropping mags for a Lefty means it could also happen to a right-handed shooter firing weak side I'm thinking. First I've heard of this happening but a definite dealbreaker for you. Bet the Shield works out well......

Thanks for the well wishes GK17. The Shield has been outstanding so far. Only the 250 round mark but there have been zero failures. That means a lot to me. Slight improvement in the trigger after 500 snaps, not as good as the LC9s trigger but I like it for it's intended purpose.

I have only heard of one other person having a dropped mag. issue with the LC9s. I did not inquire if he was left handed. My hands are medium sized and very thinly padded. Part of my middle finger rides up on the edge of the magazine disconnect. No other place to put it.

Regards

Keith

Site Supporter
    The shield is a durable gun you can shoot a bunch. Night sights are now available.

Put TruGlo's new TFO front sight on my SR9c and really like it with the stock rear sight's white dots blacked out. Will probably put the TFO full set on the Shield(unless I win Lotto tonight then it's one each of every size & color Boberg in their catalogue and the chauffer and bodyguards can carry full-sized M&Ps).

Site Supporter
    TFO sights are a poor choice, IMO, they're not durable and the rod isn't replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    TFO sights are a poor choice, IMO, they're not durable and the rod isn't replaceable.

This x 100. And unless they have changed their policy since back in 2009 or so when I had my last set, their warranty period is 90 days vs lifetime for all others who make sights. That's called a "clue".
    Energy goes where attention flows.

Site Supporter
    It's a 12 year warranty on TFOs, but the best warranty is the one you'll never need. Regardless of the duration, they're junk.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...lowarrent.jpeg

User Tag List