Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK USP and .45 Super

HK USP and .45 Super

With the rebate, a USP .45 is $642 new. Anyone have experience with the USP and .45 Super? I have had friends recommending .45 Super for a while, as an Alaskan creatures load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I ran quite a bit of it back in the day with no issues. It felt a lot like a hot 10mm.

You don't have to change anything on the gun to run it. If you're going to shoot a LOT of it, it would be worthwhile to put a different recoil spring in - either a new stock one or a heavier one.

I shot a pig with it from about 30 yards. Hit her above the front leg (she turned when the shot broke) and it went through and through easily. I imagine it would have good penetration for a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With the rebate, a USP .45 is $642 new. Anyone have experience with the USP and .45 Super? I have had friends recommending .45 Super for a while, as an Alaskan creatures load.
    Yup.

I have seen the slide out run the mag a few times with hot stuff. That happens when you get outside the designed operating envelope. +P is solidly in that envelope, and Super is borderline at best.

YMMV.

Dr. No, thanks for that. I would plan to shoot just enough Super to confirm reliability, and then carry it with Super in the field, but otherwise shoot it with .45 acp.

It comes DA/SA. Thoughts on that, installing the match trigger, or some LEM conversion?

I would plan on Trijicon HD sights, so thinking the standard model versus the Tactical would make sense, since it is less cost, and the threaded barrel and adjustable sights don't fit what I am doing. Unless there is some magic to getting it with the match trigger in from HK?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had a couple of USP Match pistols with the longer barrels that I ran some Triton ,45 Super through, and some other brand but I forget what it was. All 230gr stuff.

Muzzle blast was .44 magnum-ish, recoil stout but controllable. It felt like the slide was really bottoming out hard again the frame.

On one of those guns I was running a Sure Fire legacy 6volt light with a DG switch. The Super kicked enough to compress the batteries inside the light and cause the light to quit due to lack of contact with the now visibly shorter batteries. I'll note I haven't seen that happen on any other gun I've sure a SF light on, not even 14" 870s and 590s with slugs.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-25-2014 at 02:59 PM.

How about 45 super in a HK45 or HK45C? Are they as strong as the USP 45?
    What is velocity with 230 gr.

HK USP and .45 Super

In case you haven't seen this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlEi9_UBPD4

Cliffs notes: Buffalo Bore 45 super runs 1150 fps out of a USP. Hornady 45 +p runs about 1050. Seems like 45 super would be good bear medicine with that platform. MUCH hotter than 45 ACP

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

I appreciate the link.
    230 gr @1150 fps.
    Guy hit his chronograph top arch, his gun handling makes it likely an ER visit is in somebody's future.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Dr. No, thanks for that. I would plan to shoot just enough Super to confirm reliability, and then carry it with Super in the field, but otherwise shoot it with .45 acp.

It comes DA/SA. Thoughts on that, installing the match trigger, or some LEM conversion?

I would plan on Trijicon HD sights, so thinking the standard model versus the Tactical would make sense, since it is less cost, and the threaded barrel and adjustable sights don't fit what I am doing. Unless there is some magic to getting it with the match trigger in from HK?
    I really liked running my USP's cocked and locked. LEM isn't a bad idea if you don't like a frame safety, but if you're used to running 1911 style guns C&L is very natural. Match trigger is a very nice upgrade and it cleans up the pull quite a bit. I'm pretty sure you can just buy the match trigger kit and install it yourself. The only real booger is the trigger return spring, which has enabled me to invent new cusswords that make sailors blush.

I wouldn't discount the tactical sights though - they are tall (for over a suppressor) and all blacked out, and quite a bit finer than the normal sights. I found them to be quite accurate. I'm a big fan of the Dawson sight picture these days, but I shot meprolights exclusively until I moved to the P30 platform.

This is easy......USP Expert .45. It is one of my all time favorite pistols. Has all the Match stuff from the factory, O ring match barrel, over travel stop, melted match sights (which I like much better than the tall ones on the Tactical), and the long slide/extended barrel will get some more velocity and slide weight. Also, I believe if you convert it to a LEM, you get the best LEM trigger out there due to the combination of match trigger parts. The controls are also Ambi. Easily my favorite of the USP series and stupid accurate. Heck I even took second in an IPSC match with mine with only a guy with a full open gun beating me. The only negative is size. The only time in my marriage when my wife said "No Way" was when I showed up to pick her up from work wearing the Expert in a special fanny pack that was made for the NSW SWCC guys for the MK 23 while running the boats. I guess it did look ridiculous.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List