Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart guns? Recording shots? New tech.

Site Supporter

Smart guns? Recording shots? New tech.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6040930.html

Says some departments are incorporating tech into their Glocks.

Earlier this month, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and the Carrollton, Texas, Police Department began equipping some of their officers’ Glocks with the new technology, Yardarm stated in a press release Friday.

“We’re looking forward to what we believe law enforcement is heading towards,” Carrollton Police Sgt. Wes Rutherford told HuffPost. “We thought we might be interested in purchasing this in the future.”
    Anybody familiar with such. Seems to me that minature cameras are not far away.

If that thing sent an alarm every time I drew my pistol it would break. Not that I pull my gun often at work...I dry-fire A LOT!

I really think that they're over thinking the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    If that thing sent an alarm every time I drew my pistol it would break. Not that I pull my gun often at work...I dry-fire A LOT!

I really think that they're over thinking the issue.
    This would seem to be an administrator cheif's Christmas gift.

"Mr Street Cop, please come into my office. You need to be nicer to the thugs, because our mayor needs their vote. If your holster draw stat hits the red again , you're on the unemployment line...."
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Even the concept of things like this make me glad I'm retired. God Bless my Brothers still working in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Even the concept of things like this make me glad I'm retired. God Bless my Brothers still working in the business.
    +1

Currently, for the sensor to work, an officer must be carrying a smartphone.
    How many agencies issue phones to every patrol officer?

I guess the good part is that it appears to be a passive system that doesn't interfere with the function of the gun just records movement.

Site Supporter
    It's a terrible idea.

It's the tip of the wedge.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

How hard would it be to register false positives and who are the established experts in the field on interpreting the data? New big brother technology has a tendency to cost departments lots of money settling cases to stay out of court, and get good cops in trouble because it's unreliable.

We were one of the first large departments to install GPS tracking in squad cars. It was a terrible system. The system would often show officers driving over 100mph on city streets or show officers in places that they never were at. At first it was a bad joke and then the lawsuits started rolling in. It wasn't hard for an attorney to claim a systematic patterns of misconduct. The "we're good buys, we just make really horrible decisions about equipment" defense doesn't work in court, and the experts that in the field at the time worked on aeronautical systems and had little to experience with land based systems.

Company Makes Gun Tech That Could Help Prevent Police Brutality
    That's the headline on the article. Not only no but hell no!

Any time you draw your gun it sends an alert warning of potential danger. Maybe if command staff is drawing a gun...

Great. It probably locks up your radio channel too. Beep gun drawn. Beep gun drawn beep gun drawn etc. We have emergency buttons on our radios too. They're always accidently hit. The channels taken for ten seconds and only that radio can transmit. Sometimes it's funny cause it brings a torrent of cursing. I see this system giving all kinds of false alerts and just being a big PITA in general.

What about training. Now there's a lot of drawing and firing. Can it be remotely shut off so you can train without sending alerts?

You need a smart phone to make it work you better plan on issuing one because your not putting a Department app on my cell phone. My Dept has 800 Officers. That's a lot of phones and that's a lot of data packages. That's a lot of coin.

According to the article this company wanted to sell an app to remotely shut off guns but dropped it because of the uproar.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List