Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Border Patrol rifle issue

Last edited by LittleLebowski; 11-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That many rifles being deadlined makes me wonder if someone doesn't know the difference between a no-go gauge and a field gauge.

I saw that happen on a fairly large scale a few years ago, with a couple hundred M14's in an Army BCT being deadlined by support maintenance for excessive headspace. Magically, they were almost all good to go once the correct gauge was used.

What were the reasons the rifles were deadlined -- with that information, isn't it hard to conclude much?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    In the comments on the gunnuts page, the author states, "mainly failing no go gauges on the chamber and bent barrels"

I agree that's still not much information to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    In the comments on the gunnuts page, the author states, "mainly failing no go gauges on the chamber and bent barrels"

I agree that's still not much information to go on.
    It's all I've got.
    #RESIST

I bet department firearms, whether they be handgun or long gun, end up in much worse condition when shared, as compared to equipment issued to an individual officer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bet department firearms, whether they be handgun or long gun, end up in much worse condition when shared, as compared to equipment issued to an individual officer.
    I'm talking to a close friend as I type this, who has been a border patrol agent in AZ since 2007, and he's saying about half the agents at his station have personally assigned rifles. I agree with you in theory, and he also said most of the assigned rifles are in good condition but the pool ones are "garbage and need to be replaced." he's also mentioning that just about nobody ever draws an M4. His words,

I guess. I'm wary of taking all this firepower with all these civil rights floating around.
    What's more likely? You needing to shoot .223 at something or overheating/having a negligent discharge when you get into a scuffle or get hung up on a bush.
    I can tell you that when I hike up a mountain, I'm scrambling to shed every ounce of weight I can. I'm still stuck with 20 lbs of shit though including my godawful uniform
    Keep in mind he's a PT god. Now imagine the average agent, who isn't....

So, I can't imagine the rifles get used terribly much, causing their poor condition. I'm going to assume it's bad armory/cleaning practices. You really can ruin a rifle from bad cleaning.

He also added this:

If you want to look cool with your m4 as a cop, join swat.
    then you too can be ------- useless
    Which, is also an opinion I've heard voiced elsewhere. Seems like patrol carbines are a good option for patrol cops who can leave them in their vehicle, but he's stating that leaving an M4 in a vehicle, even with a gun lock, is against policy.

I thought these comments were interesting.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-24-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Never mind...deleted

That would be a seriously cultural and training issue

Site Supporter
    This is also very location dependent - the USBP isnt as monolithic as some might think. Different USBP sectors operate ... differently and have different cultures. Partially due to different operating conditions and partly due to management

Even here in TX there are differences between working in West Texas / New Mexico and working the Rio Grande Valley.

User Tag List