Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New "RDS" optic about to hit the market

New "RDS" optic about to hit the market

Imagine an Eotech styled optic with an etched reticle that takes CR123 batteries and has clearer glass than an Eotech. 1 MOA dot likely.

Leupold is about to dump such a beast on the market. Astigmatism sufferers rejoice!

Whoa.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Any word on battery life?

Whoever comes up with an optic with Eotech's reticle and something even approaching Aimpoint's battery life is going to make a lot of money.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

It sounds like the Trijicon SRS (Sealed Reflex Sight) Jay Cunningham has a thread and a review.

The SRS does not have an etched reticle.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    ...Leupold is about to dump such a beast on the market....
    Interesting! Any links to more info? Or any idea when more info will be released to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Whoever comes up with an optic with Eotech's reticle and something even approaching Aimpoint's battery life is going to make a lot of money.
    My thought as well. That's something I've wanted for years.

For whatever it's worth, I own one EOTech and multiple Aimpoints. While I prefer the EOTech reticle, I barely ever use that optic. For my taste, the size, weight, and battery life of the Aimpoint offerings overshadow the reticle difference.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Why does everybody prefer the EO reticle?

I'm asking because I know several people that when pinned down to answer have never put things on the timer, they just think it looks cool, or they "feel" that it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

I'm asking because I know several people that when pinned down to answer have never put things on the timer, they just think it looks cool, or they "feel" that it's better.
    A few of my former mil friends have used both and preferred the EOTech to a man. They felt it was superior at speed including shooting from vehicles at very odd angles, body positions etc. One of them had his Iraq tour EOT that had hardly any paint left on it; he said it had a glitch where it ATE batteries and his didn't give a single fuck. He'd put in new batts daily. He really liked that sight.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

I think it's very hard to quantify because (A) there is probably more emotion and subjectivity to the opinion than there is document-able fact and (B) proficiency and familiarity play a part. If you take a guy who has been shooting one optic or the other exclusively for a couple of years and several thousand rounds and hand him the other optic he's probably going to be slower/less-accurate for a time as he acclimates. So you take a guy who likes the Eotech reticule because his "mil buddies" told him to, and he's been shooting it for several years, run him through a drill with the Eotech on his gun and then hand him another gun with a different optic on it and run him through the same drill, you're probably going to see a self-fulfilling prophecy in action.

All of which to say, it probably doesn't matter why. Some people like one reticule, some people like the other, some people find that other perceived factors (reliability, battery life, whatever) outweigh even a preference for a different reticule.

My guess is even if the Aimpoint had the Eotech reticule, or the Eotech had the perceived durability or confirmed battery life of the Aimpoint, you'd still have people staunchly in one camp or another and unable to articulate why.

My eyes often see the Aimpoint round dot as anything but round. Is the EO better, worse or the same in this regard?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List