Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New "RDS" optic about to hit the market

Hmmmm....
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I am an old school Aimpoint type and I have several Aimpoint's and EoTech's. Aimpoint durability and battery life cannot be argued, however I do prefer the Eo reticle for a few reasons. I am splitting hairs here, but I am known for that. For most individuals, quite frankly their skill sets / needs may not show them a definable difference or a difference that may matter for their application. Up close I am faster with the Eo, again splitting hairs. At close distances I do not use the center MOA dot but rather use the 65 MOA ring as a large dot so to speak. Also up close for precision shots I am quicker with the Eo as I utilize the bottom hash at the 65 MOA ring as the dot. At longer distances, I very much prefer the finer or smaller dot for precision.

Other benefits of the Eo reticle for myself is that I will use the 9 or 3 o'clock hash as hold off references under certain distance / wind situations, or more so I can quickly extrapolate hold off distance quickly similar in theory to a mil dot reticle. I also use the 65 MOA ring as a way of ranging, definitely without magnification it is limited but has some good advantages if you understand ranging with mil dots or similar. At distance I also use the bottom hash as a measurable point on a target in which to more quickly come up with a hold off. I use the Eo reticle for shooting moving targets, either tracking or ambush methods. I also like that the size of the Eo window allows for even more variation in rifle position in improvised shooting positions. There is more leeway to have a less than perfect placement behind the rifle.

I will note that I have owned several generations of EoTech's and have seen all of the various issues that have come and gone with EoTech. I will note that I have 3 of the single battery / transverse battery compartment EXPS models and I have not seen any issues as of yet. The oldest being at least 3 years old, or when they were first released. Not a large sample but we did just pick up 50 of them recently and I will be tracking durability results.

As for any new product I am never "married" to any weapon, piece of gear, or product. I am always hoping for something better to come along. I would love to see a new optic that combined many of my desires in one unit. I look forward to checking out this new Leupold optic.

For you guys with astigmatisms: Go see an optometrist. I have an astigmatism that causes an aimpoint to look like an eotech. With correction, it just looks like a tiny dot. A good eye doctor can fix this assuming it's not horrifically bad (ie above 3).

Eotech uncorrected looks even worse for me.

Originally I really liked the idea of Eotechs, but I have come to appreciate the simplicity of my 4MOA T-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    For you guys with astigmatisms: Go see an optometrist. I have an astigmatism that causes an aimpoint to look like an eotech. With correction, it just looks like a tiny dot. A good eye doctor can fix this assuming it's not horrifically bad (ie above 3).

Eotech uncorrected looks even worse for me.

Originally I really liked the idea of Eotechs, but I have come to appreciate the simplicity of my 4MOA T-1.
    How would a doctor correct astigmatism?

-Laser surgery=Risks/money
    -Contacts=Have you ever tried to put them in at 2am just having woken up while knowing you have seconds to grab your weapon and make ready?
    -Glasses=Ever tried to find them at 2am?

Also, assuming a battery or electronics go down, which is ALWAYS a possibility with ANY optic, the etched reticle is the fastest BUIS around.

Yes, correct the vision, by all means, but this LCO, if executed as well as I hope, offers a legitimate game-changer for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

-Contacts=Have you ever tried to put them in at 2am just having woken up while knowing you have seconds to grab your weapon and make ready?

Also, assuming a battery or electronics go down, which is ALWAYS a possibility with ANY optic, the etched reticle is the fastest BUIS around.

Yes, correct the vision, by all means, but this LCO, if executed as well as I hope, offers a legitimate game-changer for many.
    That sounds real good to me except for one unknown factor--price. Any idea how much this miracle worker will cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    That sounds real good to me except for one unknown factor--price. Any idea how much this miracle worker will cost?
    On another forum, I read MSRP is $799.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

I used to have really bad progressive myopia, so yes, I know what it's like to be reaching for glasses at O dark 30, and you should too. Seeing your target to PID is kind of a big deal.

If I was worried about home defense carbine and not general purpose, and I had astigmatism issues as bad as some of ya'll describe, then I'd go with a combo of laser and irons. At home defense distances in the dark the irons stand out rather nicely against that 120-1000 lumen hot spot down range.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If I was worried about home defense carbine and not general purpose, and I had astigmatism issues as bad as some of ya'll describe, then I'd go with a combo of laser and irons. At home defense distances in the dark the irons stand out rather nicely against that 120-1000 lumen hot spot down range.
    I think this is great advice.

I def agree on the laser part, but my experience is that aperture sights are lousy darker conditions, especially with eyeglasses if you normally are a contacts wearer. My issue with the red dot is shooting groups at distance, and any deformation isn't an issue for me for HD style shooting.

Now a laser and good open sights like HD style on a pistol, as I have on my Benelli, would also be fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I def agree on the laser part, but my experience is that aperture sights are lousy darker conditions, especially with eyeglasses if you normally are a contacts wearer. My issue with the red dot is shooting groups at distance, and any deformation isn't an issue for me for HD style shooting.

Now a laser and good open sights like HD style on a pistol, as I have on my Benelli, would also be fine.
    Same here. Hits are find on close ranges CQB out to 25 yds etc. But I don't even presently own an RDS and just go with irons and white light for HD and magnified optics hunting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List