Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing use of dominant arm for at least 4 to 5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by czech6 View Post
    When I messed up my rotator cuff, I was a left hand only shooter for a while. What I found worked best for reloading was a mag pouch in front of the holster. Eject mag, pistol back in holster, insert new mag, pistol back out of holster, and work the slide via the rear sight or slide release. You're stuck in place if you do the pistol between the knees, and if the situation degrades to the point you have to run, you may lose your gun.

The biggest issue I had was reloading magazines, I finally bought a maglula and it made reloading mags less of a chore.

Cover garments are an issue, stiffer heavier fabric garments are little easier to deal with.
    Wilderness type belts with a cinch buckle are helpful (if you get the longest possible belt the only time you have to thread the belt through the buckle is when you change pants).
    If you're carrying IWB snaps are much easier than fixed loops.

Not related to shooting. A jar opener is very useful. Grooming and hygiene can have a learning curve. Flushable wipes are good, since off hand butt wiping may not be as thorough. Slip on or velcro shoes. No slip place mats, will save from the flying dinner plate while trying to cut food. Good scissors, that are made for your off hand, will take the drama out of opening food packages.
    For cutting food a ulu type knife is helpful 1 handed, I bought the Knives of Alaska one. 1 handed, I had to cut more with direct downward pressure toward the plate and a rocking motion rather than a sliding slicing motion.
    One handed pulling up your pants and getting all your belt gear situated has issues, sometime I had to use leaning against a wall etc to keep them up while fastening belt etc.... You might want to get this figured out before you have to do it.
    Last edited by 1slow; 10-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I've no experience personally, but the most straight-forward one-handed reload technique I've seen via video was from Bill Rogers. And, while it's been years since I've seen it, Magpul's old video featured a number of techniques as well.

Site Supporter
    Having broken my wrist and ribs, I was lucky enough to have signed up for an injured shooter class a few weeks after. Took it with a forearm cast (the big one was off). So, I carried a Glock on my nondominant side with a single mag in back of the gun. At slide lock you can put the gun back into the holster and insert mag. Then release the slide with the release or rack on the side of the holster. That was Kydex and OWB. A softy won't work. Or you could use your belt. It is also possible to put the gun between your knees and thighs and insert the mag - but I didn't like that way.

To continue - had to switch buildings - this might be idiosyncratic to me as I am a leftist. I had no particular problem shooting reasonably accurately with my right (Glock 19). I also found that I could easily switch eyes so alignment was not a problem. No need for me to cant or whatever.

One sidebar - I find that when I have to switch hands, I shoot right handed without my left as support. I might practice more intensively, but I find my nondominant hand to be quite clumsy in it's grip. As a scar, I once crossed my fingers in back of the slide with a fast draw with the right hand. Where did that come from! Yes, there was an ouch. Only time I ever did that with a semi.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-22-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Moving between locations

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    BTDT.

High capacity is your friend. For me this was 2 GL 17s.

A 2nd High capacity pistol is your friend. 6 second 1 hand reloads suck. Tertiary gun was S&W J frame in left front pants pocket or outside coat pocket.
    This. When my dominant hand was out of commission I looked through the safe for two things: high capacity with ambi controls. As it turned out I didn't need the ambi part as much as I thought I would, but lots of bullets and a second gun are the way to go.

On another note, there are not enough pockets in your pants to carry all your stuff on one side. During my injury was the one time I wore a vest with lots of pockets so I could access keys, wallet, phone, knife, second gun, etc.

On yet another note, LHO shooting was not nearly as hard as putting my pants and belt on LHO. My technique to get dressed was to get my pants up, then lie on my back on the bed and get everything arranged and secured. Also spend some time practicing LHO use of eating utensils. Shaving was also impossible.
    Last edited by Hambo; 10-24-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    That's why a beard is a necessary accessory for manly men. Do you see gun handling on Youtube - got to have a beard. I found the arm itch under the cast as the worst thing. When they took the cast off and I will my hand to move - it just looked at me and said - NO sir! Squeezing putty, weights, etc. to get it back.

Back in April I had a bad clavicle break due to a motorcycle accident. 12 weeks off work and the first month was misery. Most of what has been mentioned above was what worked for me. The hard part as mentioned by others is the daily routine with just one hand functioning. The sling as a storage device worked well after I was allowed to take off the compression strap. For me mostly is was a "J" frame in the pocket and a spare "J" in another pocket. I did not carry reloads with the "J's". Later I started packing the SIG left hand with a spare magazine behind it for the same single hand reloaded mentioned above...holster, reload, drop slide and present from the holster. I had the left handed gear already. I train often with the weak hand and the agency has us "qualify" weak hand only once a year.

A side note... I screwed a small coat hook on the back of the master bedroom door at about waist height. It made life much easier when I had access to something to act as a second hand when putting belts and such on.

User Tag List