Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing use of dominant arm for at least 4 to 5 weeks

Losing use of dominant arm for at least 4 to 5 weeks

I will be having shoulder surgery that will cause my dominant arm to be in a sling for 4 to 5 weeks. I am not sure when that arm will be up to shooting again but it may be as longer than the time it is in a sling. I will be carrying on my non-dominant side for the duration of this time. I would like to carry a reload. I seem to remember reading somewhere about somebody who only had the use of one arm carrying a reload right by their holster. Not sure how that works but if anybody can clue me in, let me know.

If anybody has any tips or resources for technique on how to carry/reload with only non-dominant arm, I would be most appreciative.

If anybody has had a similar experience and can talk a little about that it would be appreciated.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Will your arm be in a cast, while in the sling?

I did have a strip of white velcro loop fabric sewn into the inside of my arm sling. I was then able to attach all sorts of useful thing to the inside of the sling. They were very accessible, but hidden from view.

A little contact cement and Velcro can be quite useful if you want to put a blade, flashlight, pepper spray, spare mag or holster in there. Perhaps two might fit. I had a Surefire E1E and a Spyderco Ronin in there most of the time, sometimes just the light and a spare G19 mag.

Hope that helps.

No cast but great suggestion on using the sling as storage. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Not sure what kind of surgery, but I can tell you that you are pretty much correct on the time to rehab being equal (or greater) than time in a sling. Note that rehab completion does NOT mean you're back to 100%, just that you're not crippled.

I'd think if you could come up with some novel way of carrying your reload in the sling you might be able to get away with that. To what extent will the arm be immobilized? will you still be able to grip with that hand? how about grasping the slide to rack it if needed? To be honest, I think there's a lot of aspects of this you might not fully realize until you're deep into the post-surgery time frame.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Back in the old days of IPSC we often had to do weak or strong hand only reloads. There was an Idaho mag pouch if I remember correctly. It was on open front plastic mag holder that held the mag with the bullets up. To reload you dropped the old mag, placed the mag well down over the new mag and rocked forward pulling the mag out of the holder, then finished inserting the mag by pressing on your leg. Some of the kydex benders should be able to make something like this.

No worries, glad to help.

One thing else that was useful. You know how some folks casually stand with a hand in a pocket, holding a concealed J-frame revolver?

It's possible to place one's hand inside a sling, as if absentmindedly scratching an itch on one's arm. I might have done that as well. Canes, slings and casts make a person resemble prey. But a G26 inside a sling is a comfort at the watering hole, when you spot a leopard.

Good luck with your surgery, and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Here's how I did it when I couldn't use my right arm.

When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I will be having shoulder surgery that will cause my dominant arm to be in a sling for 4 to 5 weeks. I am not sure when that arm will be up to shooting again but it may be as longer than the time it is in a sling. I will be carrying on my non-dominant side for the duration of this time. I would like to carry a reload. I seem to remember reading somewhere about somebody who only had the use of one arm carrying a reload right by their holster. Not sure how that works but if anybody can clue me in, let me know.

If anybody has any tips or resources for technique on how to carry/reload with only non-dominant arm, I would be most appreciative.

If anybody has had a similar experience and can talk a little about that it would be appreciated.
    BTDT.
    Broke right ulnar and radius near the wrist in 2012 doing combatives while going through chemo. (All is good now clean scans etc...).
    I had LH gear packed so the next days I shot LHO. I got home, orthopod put in T shaped plate + 11 screws, this was later all removed.

IMHO Observations:
    Have other hand holster etc.. that you have practiced with. I train a good bit LHO, RHO. In my case RH and LH AIWB ( left is actually spleen ) Practice dry a lot before you go hot on the range.

High capacity is your friend. For me this was 2 GL 17s.

A 2nd High capacity pistol is your friend. 6 second 1 hand reloads suck. Tertiary gun was S&W J frame in left front pants pocket or outside coat pocket.

If you using a revolver Michael DeBethencourt and Headhunter have much insight on 1 hand reloads. This involves wedging barrel or butt under your belt etc...

Learn 1 hand reload. Eject mag, pistol goes between knees, in holster, waistband, pocket etc..., draw mag, load pistol with mag, reacquire firing grip, rack slide against gear etc... to chamber a round. KEEP MUZZLE APPOINTED AWAY FROM YOUR BODY !!! Paul Gomez had some pointers on this as does Rogers school.

Put spare mags, knives, etc where you can get to them with your functional hand. If possible a fixed blade knife simpler to access with off hand.

Surefire X300/400 with a DG switch is good, particularly for bedside, because you do not have a 2nd hand for light. Also a happy stick is good for bedside, more ammo before reloading.

While my right arm was useless, I had a GL17 with X400/DGswitch and a shoulder bag with 10 happy sticks as my carbine substitute. When my right hand could be used to pull a trigger, though still in a brace, I went back to a carbine.

I always kept this in mind. With no hair from chemo and a cast I looked like prey. I tried to be hyper aware. I had also decided that my life was more at risk while diminished and I was not going to play/scuffle if it went to physical measures. I needed to see trouble coming sooner and switch on.

On a more cheerful note, this is a great opportunity to work on your other hand shooting. I put 4000+ rounds in LHO. It helped my LHO shooting a lot. I still need work.
    Last edited by 1slow; 10-21-2014 at 11:15 PM.

When I messed up my rotator cuff, I was a left hand only shooter for a while. What I found worked best for reloading was a mag pouch in front of the holster. Eject mag, pistol back in holster, insert new mag, pistol back out of holster, and work the slide via the rear sight or slide release. You're stuck in place if you do the pistol between the knees, and if the situation degrades to the point you have to run, you may lose your gun.

The biggest issue I had was reloading magazines, I finally bought a maglula and it made reloading mags less of a chore.

Cover garments are an issue, stiffer heavier fabric garments are little easier to deal with.
    Wilderness type belts with a cinch buckle are helpful (if you get the longest possible belt the only time you have to thread the belt through the buckle is when you change pants).
    If you're carrying IWB snaps are much easier than fixed loops.

Not related to shooting. A jar opener is very useful. Grooming and hygiene can have a learning curve. Flushable wipes are good, since off hand butt wiping may not be as thorough. Slip on or velcro shoes. No slip place mats, will save from the flying dinner plate while trying to cut food. Good scissors, that are made for your off hand, will take the drama out of opening food packages.

When I had shoulder surgery I carried my P2000SK in a mirror of my normal AIWB gear, no reload. I would occasionally add a J frame to the cargo pocket of my shorts as a NY reload.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List