Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Use Air Compressor

Home Use Air Compressor

I need a compressor for the occasional tire fill and some light air nailer/stapler use. I had been looking to get an oil pump compressor but some of the oil free pump compressors seem to be getting solid reviews over the perceptibly more durable/better/pricey oiled units. I'd like to limit things to under $400 and the $100-150 range seems to be a sweet spot for oil-free pancake or twin tube models that have a fitting flow rate/volume. Most importantly it seems that at $150 if I get a few years out of it and replace it I won't be too far behind a $400 compressor now and there aren't any guarantees the $400 lasts as long as two cheapos.

Anyone have any input?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm sure I'll be laughed at by the serious users among us but I've had one of these Craftsman compressors, (or one exactly like it), since the end of 2003.

Mine is primarily for keeping tires aired up and the occasional other usage.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm sure I'll be laughed at by the serious users among us but I've had one of these Craftsman compressors, (or one exactly like it), since the end of 2003.
    We have one of those in the shop to keep the waste oil heater going overnight when the main compressor is off. Noisy little thing. One winter we burned through two of them. Last one, I think I got it at Home Depot, has lasted for a while and IIRC it came with oil that you had to add before using. I have a pancake tank oil-less compressor for the nail gun that also easily handles adding air to tires but it doesn't get run hard.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I have a Porter Cable pancake style that I have run pretty hard over about 16 years, and it has held up really well. I have used it to run framing nailers, so it should be up to the tasks you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasBronco View Post
    I have a Porter Cable pancake style that I have run pretty hard over about 16 years, and it has held up really well. I have used it to run framing nailers, so it should be up to the tasks you mentioned.
    Good to hear. At $100-130 it's hard to argue with once the idea of things being disposable is accepted.

Here are a few more I found after poking around with what @blues posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700...cm_wl_huc_item
    Solid reviews, seems like a workhorse

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55166.../dp/B01KBWCMIO
    A bit larger but on wheels.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Mine is primarily for keeping tires aired up and the occasional other usage.

Ditto, I've used mine for nail guns to detail work, runs and hasn't failed yet. It does cycle a lot...small tank vs volume of air needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I'm sure either of your choices would work. Everything I've owned from those brands has been solid. My only observation is that the Makita tank is really small, so it may cycle a lot during use. However, it also says it is quiet, so I can't judge. I have a couple of small compressors, and they are all pretty obnoxious when they start.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700...cm_wl_huc_item
    Solid reviews, seems like a workhorse
    What you describe as use you will probably never kill any of them. My wife has a little pancake unit at her shop (don't remember the brand) and it has been in use since 1999. I replaced it because I thought it was being overworked so I bought a bigger one and moved the pancake to secondary use and it is still kicking.

One thing about the Makita is it would be portable. You could pump it up and unplug it and haul it to where the air is needed.

Home Depot has a Dewalt compressor as one of it's daily deals.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

California Air Tools

I have this one and love it.

You probably already know this, but figure out the nail/stapler you want to use and the CFM requirements, and then buy the appropriately sized compressor.

I will say, however, that with brushless motors and Lion batteries you may not need a compressor for nailing/stapling at all, and having one battery ecosystem for your drill, driver, nailer, and any other cordless tools you want to buy is huge. I currently am settled into the Milwaukee ecosystem but I wish I'd stuck with Dewalt since Milwaukee is *never* on sale and there is little to nothing else separating the two brands.

User Tag List