Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beretta M92A1 Recoil Impulse-Wet Noodle Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am not a Beretta 92 shooter, but the same symptoms in a 9x19 1911 usually means the recoil spring rate is too high for the load. The muzzle dip is the extra closing force on the slide acting as a lever. IF this was a 9x19 1911, I would try a 9# spring to see if that reduces/alleviates the muzzle dip. One thing I have learned about 9x19 1911s that may be applicable is that each sample needs to be evaluated for the proper recoil spring for the load. I have several different 9x19 1911s and I run three different recoil springs in them for the same load. I wonder if the same phenomenon is at work with this pistol.
    Possibly,

Im no stranger to tuning guns via recoil springs however, i am a bit of a stranger to very light springs, especially on a gun that has a supposed "light" slide. Im a Glock and CZ guy with only one 9mm 1911 and all of my guns generally run 11 lb springs. The only gun that ive ever tuned lighter than 11 lbs was that 9mm 1911 so im always a little skeptical when i find a gun that MAY need a lighter spring. I do know that alot of Limited shooters with light weight 2011 slides run eight or nine pound springs so perhaps i should have pulled my head out of my ass sooner and made the connection.

The thing that "got" me on this was the fact that im so used to 11 lb springs i just couldnt wrap my head around a lightweight slide potentially needing a lighter spring. All of the symptoms lined up with the need for further tuning yet something else seemed to be at play, ie coil bind, frame battering or god knows what else.

Here's to hoping Wolf gets me the lightweight springs before the weekend so that i can adequately test this.

Did some digging and found the following: 1) The 9x19 1911 slide weight is 13 ounces. 2) The 92 slide weight is 12 ounces. The difference is much less than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Did some digging and found the following: 1) The 9x19 1911 slide weight is 13 ounces. 2) The 92 slide weight is 12 ounces. The difference is much less than I expected.
    Interesting.

This jives with my experiences with the 9mm guns, the slides felt wonky until i got the spring rate tuned properly and i had to go way lighter than expected.

I shot a Glock 17 today, trying to compare it to the Beretta. I found the sights much, much easier to track on the Glock. No idea what it means.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am a moron...

I was working on my 92A1 slide today and a black metal ring fell out. I had no clue what it was until i put two and two together and realized that it was the bushing that was on the OEM guide rod. I originally took my rod apart with it IN the gun so the bushing had been in there ever since.

I had been running the wolf springs with the bushing on the wilson guide rod which you're not supposed to do. I believe, heavy emphasis on believe that the bushing was compressing the longer Wolf spring more than it was designed to compress.

I have removed the bushing and will be going to the range tonight, tomorrow and Sunday for testing. I will report back. I really...really...really hope that im on to something here...

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I am a moron...

I was working on my 92A1 slide today and a black metal ring fell out. I had no clue what it was until i put two and two together and realized that it was the bushing that was on the OEM guide rod. I originally took my rod apart with it IN the gun so the bushing had been in there ever since.

I had been running the wolf springs with the bushing on the wilson guide rod which you're not supposed to do. I believe, heavy emphasis on believe that the bushing was compressing the longer Wolf spring more than it was designed to compress.

I have removed the bushing and will be going to the range tonight, tomorrow and Sunday for testing. I will report back. I really...really...really hope that im on to something here...
    I really think that that bushing is supposed to be in there all the time on a 92A1. I've read before that it needs to be installed when using the old style Beretta guide rod in a 92A1 in place of the captured unit. My info could be wrong, but I do know that the difference in slide dimensions between the 92A1 and the standard 92's is the area of the slide where the guide rod passes through the slide. It's wider. Enough wider that a 92A1 will not go in an M9A1 holster, in spite of the fact that they are both railed Beretta 92's.

I am a moron...

There you go..

I've been watching this thread with interest. Glad you may have found the solution.

t

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I really think that that bushing is supposed to be in there all the time on a 92A1. I've read before that it needs to be installed when using the old style Beretta guide rod in a 92A1 in place of the captured unit. My info could be wrong, but I do know that the difference in slide dimensions between the 92A1 and the standard 92's is the area of the slide where the guide rod passes through the slide. It's wider. Enough wider that a 92A1 will not go in an M9A1 holster, in spite of the fact that they are both railed Beretta 92's.
    Negative ghostrider.

The wilson rod has the same outer diameter as the factory 92A1 rod, in fact, the Wilson rod is a few thousandths larger. That bushing simply serves as a method to keep the spring retained on the factory plastic rod.

Negative ghostrider.

The wilson rod has the same outer diameter as the factory 92A1 rod, in fact, the Wilson rod is a few thousandths larger. That bushing simply serves as a method to keep the spring retained on the factory plastic rod.
    Good to know. Guess I got bad info before.

User Tag List