Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M92A1 Recoil Impulse-Wet Noodle Syndrome.

To me, it looks like you are controlling the pistol with your hands and not enough from your arms, shoulders, and upper body.

Personally, I'd suggest changing those and see what results you get. More athletic slight forward position, add tension through your upper arms, shoulders, triceps, etc....

I would also suggest experimenting with your hand grip.

It would be very helpful if you have access to other 92 pistols (M9, FS, Vertec or Brigadier/Elite) to see if it is Beretta 92 generally, something about you and the 92, or something about the 92A1 (which differs from other 92 models).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    To me, it looks like you are controlling the pistol with your hands and not enough from your arms, shoulders, and upper body.

Personally, I'd suggest changing those and see what results you get. More athletic slight forward position, add tension through your upper arms, shoulders, triceps, etc....

I would also suggest experimenting with your hand grip.
    It's not a shooter issue. I have used the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It would be very helpful if you have access to other 92 pistols (M9, FS, Vertec or Brigadier/Elite) to see if it is Beretta 92 generally, something about you and the 92, or something about the 92A1 (which differs from other 92 models).
    George,

Im working on that and will definitely wring out the M9A1 in our group with the same spring setup and ammo and see if i can duplicate the issue with that gun. Right now, that is the only other Beretta i have access to besides a range rental M9 that has probably seen more rounds than the US military.

A gent on another forum mentioned specifically that the slide may be crashing into the buffer creating a weird resonance affect and acceleration of the forward movement of the slide. Going to a heavier spring may retard that phenomenon but may also result in muzzle dip. At least the wobble might be gone...blech. :P

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Seems like excessive forward sight bounce to me.
    After watching the videos a half a dozen times, this is the only thing anomalous that I can see.

Magsz, is the return to battery "bounce" what you're talking about or are you also feeling something strange on the rearward recoil stroke of the slide as well? I'm not seeing how a buffer or binding spring is going to lead to the front sight bounce shown. Excessive front sight bounce on a properly sprung gun is usually a symptom of how you're tensing your arms and how you're responding to/countering the recoil impulse.

More experienced shooters can probably break this down a lot better. I have serious doubts this problem will disappear by screwing around with spring rates if you're already running an 11lb spring.

Some may recall my Centurion thread from a week or two ago, where I shot my Centurion significantly faster than my 92A1. I attributed that to slide mass. What I need to do is benchmark my Centurion against a Vertec and Elite, and see if it is a shorter versus full size slide thing, or a 92A1 specific issue.

Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    After watching the videos a half a dozen times, this is the only thing anomalous that I can see.

Magsz, is the return to battery "bounce" what you're talking about or are you also feeling something strange on the rearward recoil stroke of the slide as well? I'm not seeing how a buffer or binding spring is going to lead to the front sight bounce shown. Excessive front sight bounce on a properly sprung gun is usually a symptom of how you're tensing your arms and how you're responding to/countering the recoil impulse.

More experienced shooters can probably break this down a lot better. I have serious doubts this problem will disappear by screwing around with spring rates if you're already running an 11lb spring.
    Its the return to battery bounce where you can see the muzzle dip and then kind of wobble in space. In my sight picture i will see the front sight dip to either 7 or 5, then rise to 10 or 2. The muzzle of the gun literally tracks like a figure 8 when the slide CLOSES and returns to battery. I have to fight this gun something fierce to drive my sights where i want them.

The rearward movement is PERFECT, straight to the rear and up out of the notch. The slide, as it returns is also PERFECT in that it drops RIGHT into the notch but once the gun locks up, the muzzle wants to go all wet noodle on me.

I traditionally set my guns up on the lighter side of things. Not quite as light as some guys using cut 10 lb springs in their shadows but usually in the 11 pound range for me. I prefer my sights to settle a hair OUT of the notch so that i can allow gravity to let the gun return to its original point of aim. The technique would be similar to riding the recoil.

George, the 92A1 is the unique gun out of the mix which is why im really leaning towards hardware instead of software. I am the guy that NEVER, EVER looks at his hardware and always looks at the nut behind the wheel. In this instance, the gun seems to be bucking convention and is genuinely confusing me and the only variable here is the fact that i AM shooting a non standard, unique mechanism, ie a non "standard" lock up design. So, in essence, it could be both, hardware AND software but my buddies are all telling me the same thing, my gun (M92A1) is a gigantic wet noodle versus the M9A1 in our club.

I checked in with Ernest Langdon and Bill Wilson. While they have forgotten more than I know about Beretta pistols, they were unable to shed light on this, as neither has much 92A1 time. I am hoping to run a 92A1 against an Elite II and Vertec on the same drills in the next week, as time allows.

G,

If you dont mind reporting your findings it would be appreciated.

I have 9 and 10 pound recoil springs inbound to test as well as a 12 so i can basically run the entire gamut. There are a few GM's on FB that cut their teeth with Beretta's that mentioned using 9lb recoil springs with reduced power loads so i guess that may be where i need to head but at this point, who knows given the amount of variables we have going on here.

There is no mechanical reason or physical reason why a 92A1 would recoil any differently than a standard 92. Maybe remove the buffer and try again.

User Tag List