Thread: DoubleTap 450 SMC

DoubleTap 450 SMC

i tried to post this before and either screwed it up or a violation (?).

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/1350...letap-450-smc/

That kind of halfway round isn't really good for much.

It's not fast enough to cause any stretch damage (most likely), the sectional density for penetration is low with the 185 so the 230 is likely a better choice, but upping the speeds won't do much with traditional bullet design. It's not fast enough or heavy enough for a bear round, .45 is already plenty for 'not a bear.'

That expanded bullet doesn't look like it'd hold up to any resilient tissue, but I'd like to see a gel test on it.

In short, neat but doesn't seem awesome.

Site Supporter
    Next time, please choose a more descriptive title, "interesting-we'll see" isn't sufficient.

Bullet appears driven beyond the design velocity. Pretty stupid idea.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

If you're looking for a magnum .45, go all the way to .460 Rowland. 255gr @ 1300 fps is about as close as a realistic autoloader gets to a bear/elk/etc defensive gun.

Yeah, those petals are way over-expanded. And I really don't want to put that kind of wear on my .45s...

Not a new idea at all. I recall folks using .308 and .223 bras back in the '70s to build pistol ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not a new idea at all. I recall folks using .308 and .223 bras back in the '70s to build pistol ammo.
    The .44 Automag!

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    That kind of halfway round isn't really good for much.

It's not fast enough to cause any stretch damage (most likely), the sectional density for penetration is low with the 185 so the 230 is likely a better choice, but upping the speeds won't do much with traditional bullet design. It's not fast enough or heavy enough for a bear round, .45 is already plenty for 'not a bear.'

That expanded bullet doesn't look like it'd hold up to any resilient tissue, but I'd like to see a gel test on it.

In short, neat but doesn't seem awesome.
    Depending on the bullet construction, the 255 grain hardcast might be ok for bear--but at 1100 fps it is going to be real tough on the shooter out of anything but an L frame revolver, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Depending on the bullet construction, the 255 grain hardcast might be ok for bear--but at 1100 fps it is going to be real tough on the shooter out of anything but an L frame revolver, I'd think.
    That's why .460 Rowland comes with a huge comp. Not so bad then, and if you wanted you could set up a 40-70 oz 1911 or 2011 to make it a bit nicer.

User Tag List