Thread: 415 idiots

Site Supporter

415 idiots

The paper I work for runs a weekly feature called, "The Way It Was." It runs articles for the weeks of 100 years ago and 50 years ago. An October 22, 1914 article about Governor Colquitt wanting to clear every jail and poor farm notes that:
    Figures from county authorities, just compiled in the executive department here, shows there are 1,042 persons of unsound mind in Texas including 415 idiots, 307 persons adjudged insane and being cared for by relatives; 209 in jails and 111 on county poor farms.
    Wow! Only 415 idiots in Texas back in those days. I'm thinking things have gone down hill a little since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Wow! Only 415 idiots in Texas back in those days. I'm thinking things have gone down hill a little since then.
    Yea and most of them came from California...

The good news is that most of the 415 are much easier to find when the Legislature is in session.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hahaha, when I read the thread title, I thought it referred to idiots from San Francisco (415 area code.)

I guess in a way it does.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Actually.....compared to what Texas got from New Orleans, the conservative employed folks who have fled there are an outright welcome sight.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Actually.....compared to what Texas got from New Orleans, the conservative employed folks who have fled there are an outright welcome sight.
    The New Orleans refugees haven't moved home yet? How did Louisiana manage to pull that off?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    The New Orleans refugees haven't moved home yet? How did Louisiana manage to pull that off?
    The NOLA folks got priority treatment for housing welfare and all that jazz. Why give that up?? It's not like NOLA has a shortage of FSA members.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    You're welcome!

JR1572

User Tag List