Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

This G2 sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if it's destined to be the new FBI load.
    It already is. I stopped by their office today. When I asked about the ammo, a box of G2 was produced from the agent's desk drawer. Pretty interesting design. I'm hoping to get my hands on some to try it out soon.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    Actually if you look at the list SFPD has on their website, it lists three specific types of ammunition as being banned:
    Black Talon, Federal premium tactical law enforcement, and hornady TAP. Or anything with the same ballistic characteristics. Now what does that term mean? Whatever the DA and the jury judge it to mean. Which COULD be any bullet of expansive or JHP design. Does it mean that? I don't know. And I think it's intentionally vague. But I looked at a box of HST I have and it says "Federal Premium Tactical Law Enforcement" so HST is actually specifically banned
    That is my non-legal background interpolation as well. Kind of a pisser for me as I have invested in a couple cases of ranger T in both +p and +p+ loadings. *if* someone knew the history of them then a good argument could be made for ballistic similarity to the black talon as well as the fact they are marketed to LE only. All that said, the Gold Dot is marketed to both civilians and LE an other than a bonded jacket that makes for reliable expansion, is a traditional hollowpoint design.

Doc,

I know that you have usually favored 147gr HSTs, but will you still prefer them over the 147gr G2s?

Site Supporter
    I bet you guys can ask Gary all the questions you want without any solid answers as long as he is constrained by the NDA. The word may be out all over the place, but if he wants the placement with the ammo companies for advance news, T&E, etc., then he has to stay silent or not have the access anymore.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It should be legal from what I have seen in the past from there. Before I traveled to NJ a few years ago I got a letter from the NJSP Firearms unit that stated Federal EFMJ, Hornady Critical Defense and Cor Bon PowerBall were legal there, due to not being a "hollow point".

This was pre Critical Duty and such being out. I ended up carrying 124gr +P EFMJ in my G19 and wadcutters in my 638
    The EFMJ expands a lot better in the steel test than the regular JHP.

BTW
    OP or anyone know it there is going to be a standard pressure G2 124gr load?
    Last edited by Rich; 10-27-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The EFMJ expands a lot better in the steel test than the regular JHP.

BTW
    OP or anyone know it there is going to be a standard pressure G2 124gr load?
    Once I start shooting through car doors I quit caring about expansion and worry about max penetration. But yeah, the EFMJ expands through basically everything, even dry sheetrock panels.

JHP are 100% legal in NJ. (For the same of clarification and correct wrong information)

It is illegal to use a JHP "in a crime"

It is perfectly legal to own/shoot JHP ammo in NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Amurr View Post
    JHP are 100% legal in NJ. (For the same of clarification and correct wrong information)

It is illegal to use a JHP "in a crime"

It is perfectly legal to own/shoot JHP ammo in NJ.

Amurr: I have studied that law carefully, and came to the conclusion that it is ok for target shooting or hunting, or home defense, but not ok if you are one of the very few people in NJ who qualifies for CCW. It is illegal to use JHP in a crime, which means that if your target shooting, hunting or home defense involves a crime then maybe it is not ok. For example, if you shoot HP out of a 16 round magazine, you might be guilty of two crimes. I'd be real careful on this because NJ is not a place that looks favorably on firearms ownership in the first place, even though the southern and northwestern counties are full of gun owners.

I agree with your analysis. I live in NJ. I have piles of JHP. I avoid carrying illegally or robbing banks so I have nothing to worry. I just don't want the misconception that owning a JHP in NJ is illegals because that is clearly an incorrect statement. I apologies for thread derailment.

Ref the new G2, I was told that the Ranger Bonded 147gr that was the previous FBI 9mm issued load was named by the lab guys as "the bullet that don't give a fuck" due to being so consistent in testing across the board. That load tested equal to their 180gr .40 Bonded load, and better than their issued .45acp duty ammo. That loading was what they were using when the process to go to 9mms was started, it's a VERY good 9mm duty loading.

The G2 took the contract from that Bonded loading. Read what you want into that.

User Tag List