Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Forgive my ignorance of ballistics, but how does this round outperform the 147gr HST?
    Better penetration in Gel, Heavy Cloth, Steel, Wallboard, Plywood, Safety Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Most FMJ 9 mm ammo--which ought to be good enough for a JAG opinion, I'd hope.
    This projectile is obviously designed to expand, where as the Sierra MatchKings were not.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Better penetration in Gel, Heavy Cloth, Steel, Wallboard, Plywood, Safety Glass.
    Care to post some data to support those claims?

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    +1

The HSTs that I have just tested have expanded much more robustly, and reliably in water jug tests than the G2 photos that have been posted.

The specs. for the current Gold Dot and HST are on the ATK website and the 147gr. Gold Dot has more penetration than the 147gr. HST in every test.
    The FBI is Big on Penetration one would expect the new Gold Dot 147gr. G2 to perform better than the current 147gr. round.
    Maybe the new G2 ammunition will penetrate like a Gold Dot and expand like a HST.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The specs. for the current Gold Dot and HST are on the ATK website and the 147gr. Gold Dot has more penetration than the 147gr. HST in every test.
    The FBI is Big on Penetration one would expect the new Gold Dot 147gr. G2 to perform better than the current 147gr. round.
    Maybe the new G2 ammunition will penetrate like a Gold Dot and expand like a HST.
    No one is talking about the the current Gold Dots. You claimed that the new Gold Dot G2 has "better penetration in Gel, Heavy Cloth, Steel, Wallboard, Plywood, Safety Glass" than the 147 grain HST. Those are pretty specific claims to be making if you don't have any actual data on the Gold Dot G2 to support those claims.

No one is talking about the the current Gold Dots. You claimed that the new Gold Dot G2 has "better penetration in Gel, Heavy Cloth, Steel, Wallboard, Plywood, Safety Glass" than the 147 grain HST. Those are pretty specific claims to be making if you don't have any actual data on the Gold Dot G2 to support those claims.

I think he's repeating what was said or implied earlier in the thread by the SME's who have tested it but are bound by an NDA. I can't wait for the actual data myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I think he's repeating what was said or implied earlier in the thread by the SME's who have tested it but are bound by an NDA. I can't wait for the actual data myself.
    This, and I will buy Molon a Coke if the new Gold Dot 147gr. G2 does not perform as well as the current Gold Dot 147gr.

Much like the Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Ranger Bonded, the Speer G2 is engineered to perform more consistently across the full spectrum of FBI barrier test protocols. Other loads offer better performance in specific test criteria, but don't do as well against other scenarios. Each end user must decide what performance parameters are most important to their possible engagement scenarios and what features are lawful in their jurisdictions.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    +1

The HSTs that I have just tested have expanded much more robustly, and reliably in water jug tests than the G2 photos that have been posted.
    That could be, but I wouldn't take my photos out of context. I only did one round. For all I know, that was the black sheep of the bunch or something. Agreed, it wasn't pretty, but it DID punch very deep and expand with near as I can tell 100% weight retention to over .68 when averaged and .73 when not. It's not necessarily better then the best HST's have done in tests, but it's right up there with most HST tests I've seen I have seen, AND it's a bonded bullet! Show me any other non boutique manufacturer 147gr bonded round that will expand like that. It wasn't gorgeous, and I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be, but I was still impressed enough to retire my HST's and that says quite a bit.

User Tag List