Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser on primary carry pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I have not tried extensive training in live fire with a laser.
    Before deciding whether it works for you, or not, you should use it for live fire.

As josh pointed out - You've figured out that it may not work for you as a dry-fire training aid, not a shooting aid.

Other than for a special purpose, I wouldn't want to dry fire much with a laser, as it takes away the whole front sight thing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    While this is a downside when using the laser as a dryfire training aid, it's a benefit when using the laser to aim. Why wouldn't you want your eyes to be constantly drawn to your aiming reference?
    I see your point. I have been so indoctrinated in the "front sight, front sight.." doctrine, I was concerned this will water down my front sight discipline. I will look into adding it to my primary carry gun, the CZ75 SDP L I recently acquired, which has replaced my Kimber 9mm. Crimson Trace has one?

And, although I don't do it much anymore, I did find it useful to dry-fire keeping the laser dot steady, helping me to improve grip and trigger control, especially as I was practicing on greater grip strength. And, I do find the Laserlyte Laser trainer useful for dry-fire when I am practicing speed on the timer. But these days I am more focused on calling my shots in live fire.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Any specific recommendations on integrating a laser into live fire and dry fire practice to become accustomed to and efficient with it? Using a parallel zero and presenting the pistol a few inches lower seems to make sense. Wondering if there are any specific approaches to training you folks have found valuable, other than just running some of your normal drills with the laser.

Is it better to get in the habit of gripping to activate the laser whenever you are actively firing -- even when you don't plan to use the laser as an aiming reference -- or better to train to activate it only when looking for it (in low light, or when for whatever reason you're not behind the sights)? Want to get started off on the right foot.

I've only recently started to consider a laser on a carry gun, to compliment a switch to competition-style fiber front/black rear sights in place of Trijicon HDs. I'm a lefty so the grip mounted units don't work well for me, I've been looking at the LG-452 Laserguard, thinking training could carry over well to an X400 with DG switch. Haven't purchased either of those units yet, but did grab a DG switch to try with my old X300...that method of activation is going to take some getting used to. My early impression is that it's harder to activate than I expected, especially with a two-handed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by e0603 View Post
    Any specific recommendations on integrating a laser into live fire and dry fire practice to become accustomed to and efficient with it? Using a parallel zero and presenting the pistol a few inches lower seems to make sense. Wondering if there are any specific approaches to training you folks have found valuable, other than just running some of your normal drills with the laser.

Is it better to get in the habit of gripping to activate the laser whenever you are actively firing -- even when you don't plan to use the laser as an aiming reference -- or better to train to activate it only when looking for it (in low light, or when for whatever reason you're not behind the sights)? Want to get started off on the right foot.

I've only recently started to consider a laser on a carry gun, to compliment a switch to competition-style fiber front/black rear sights in place of Trijicon HDs. I'm a lefty so the grip mounted units don't work well for me, I've been looking at the LG-452 Laserguard, thinking training could carry over well to an X400 with DG switch. Haven't purchased either of those units yet, but did grab a DG switch to try with my old X300...that method of activation is going to take some getting used to. My early impression is that it's harder to activate than I expected, especially with a two-handed grip.

I find it hard to activate the Glock DG switch, but when I use my M&P DG switch on the Glock, it fits fine and activates mo easier.

I am no laser expert, but I just shoot what I see first. In bright light that is the iron sights. In dim and dark conditions, that is the laser. So rather than do laser specific training, I shoot in different lighting conditions. If you get a chance, go out just before dark in dim light -- the tritium (or FO) and white light do little, but the laser rocks.

My default is to grip the pistol when firing to consistently turn the laser on, and only grip in such a way as not to activate the laser as a conscious alternative.

I definitely notice that activating the laser with two hands takes more effort than one, but the piece of plastic under the activation button helps that a lot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Once upon a time I spent ALOT of time and ammo getting better with CT grips. I have had em on two of my duty pistols over the years. Here's what I fouind was the key to success with them: don't try to look through or just barely over your sights when using the laser. The sights are too much of a distraction since you are used to normally using the sights to hit what you are aiming at. What I found easiest was to drop the pistol 6 inches or so below my eyes and focus on just the target. Then it's just a matter of tracking the laser as it moves. Having watched my brother officers who also have them on their pistols, I have come to believe that the laser is a detriment to someone who never practices with it and simply believe having it will make them a better shooter. So I tell people now, if you get them go all in on practicing with them otherwise you are just wasting money that would be better spent on night sights and ammo.
    Interesting, I've had sort of the opposite experience with lasers. I find that I'm way more likely to upset the shot when the gun is not in index. I think it is my subconscious trying to move the gun into index since it is already most of the way there. I've also spent a lot of time refining my index and it is where I have the best recoil, so I just keep the gun there when using the laser. That's assuming getting the gun into index is possible. One of the biggest, maybe the biggest, advantages of the laser is the ability to visually aim when the gun in not lined up in front of your eye.

How much do the CT lasergrips add to the grip size of the Beretta 92? I'm able to reach things just fine on the 92's with the factory panels on, but I don't know if I could manage a big increase without having some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    How much do the CT lasergrips add to the grip size of the Beretta 92? I'm able to reach things just fine on the 92's with the factory panels on, but I don't know if I could manage a big increase without having some problems.
    The least add in thickness of any CT laser grip product I have tried. Talking the M model.

Here are the grips:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I don't have a military version that GJM has and for me the standard side activation CTG for 92 is too big. I actually prefer and use the Vertec grips on my 92; CT is movement in opposite direction.

User Tag List