Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser on primary carry pistol

Laser on primary carry pistol

I have come full circle, and feel the availability of Crimson Trace laser grips is approaching essential on my primary CCW carry pistol. There are excellent waterproof military model CT laser grips available for the Beretta and Sig, and even laser grip models for the CZ (both full size and P01) and certain Gen 3 S&W pistols. In particular, the military model CT products for the Beretta 92 series and Sig 226, are the single best laser products I have used. I wish they were available for the S&W 1066/1076, but at least it generally doesn't get dark when I am carrying 10mm.

Here is why. I need glasses or contact lenses for distance vision. At night, I am significantly nearsighted without corrective lenses, but can still see a laser. Last year, I had some eye issues that effected my dominant eye. Those issues resulted in me needing to use my non dominant eye, until my dominant eye healed. A laser made the whole dominant/non-dominant eye thing significantly easier. During winter months I often recreate in the dark with a headlamp. A headlamp puts light in a bad place for iron sights, requiring me to turn off the headlamp to effectively use iron sights. With the laser, that becomes a non-issue.

I understand there can be an issue for some with inadvertent laser activation. Often, my concern is animals, where a laser ND is not an issue. With my normal very high grip, I have to consciously activate the laser, and have added a small piece of plastic under the CT activation button to make the button more sensitive. My grips also have an easy on/off switch allowing me to easily turn the laser off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Any chance of modifying a set to fit the 1066? I too am a fan of lasers on carry guns. They really are a great asset, especially on guns like the J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Any chance of modifying a set to fit the 1066? I too am a fan of lasers on carry guns.
    Nope.The frame of the 5906 is totally different from the 4506/1006 single stack. That being said, with enough time , beer, and determination anything is possible....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Nope.The frame of the 5906 is totally different from the 4506/1006 single stack. That being said, with enough time , beer, and determination anything is possible....
    I was thinking more of a set from a 92, 226, or 1911....may not be pretty & may have some extra holes, but functional none the less.

I keep hoping that CT will make a set for the 92 compact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I keep hoping that CT will make a set for the 92 compact.
    I have never bought a CT grip...but I would for a 92 Compact CT laser grip.

I wonder how far away for this I am also? One month shy of 59, my up close vision has deteriorated to the point of needing reading glasses for ANYTHING up close. My distance vision is still good for now, having improved a bit in the last couple of years. My sight alignment is trying to match equal blur on both sides of the front sight and level blur across the top.

Arthritis has been the primary factor in driving me from SIG DA/SA back to Glocks recently. Having a trigger finger broken twice, once at the knuckle, has probably contributed. An hour of dry fire DA practice leaves my hand aching for 2 days. Too bad the laser options for Glocks suck compared to those offered for the SIG.

I am left-eye dominant and far-sighted. But I still find the laser distracting. My eyes are drawn to the laser dot and I find that becomes a distraction. Perhaps through training I can work to ignore it, but then if I am not using it, why bother?

I can completely understand how this makes sense for a near-sighted person, and as a bedside gun when you may have to clear an area such as a stairwell or odd-shaped rooms where you may want to angle your wrist to get a shot without sights.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am left-eye dominant and far-sighted. But I still find the laser distracting. My eyes are drawn to the laser dot and I find that becomes a distraction. Perhaps through training I can work to ignore it, but then if I am not using it, why bother?
    How much time have you put in to training with a laser, before coming to those conclusions?

Cody, I run a parallel zero, that places the laser below the muzzle. Between that and the difficulty seeing a red dot in bright conditions, I don't even notice the laser except in dim/dark light. When dim/dark the dot just appears without conscious effort.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List