Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Carry" vs. "Combat" Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most folks would be WAY better off is they just stick with one firearm type and learn to master it; get two or three identical pistols--one for training, one for carry, one as a spare or "nightstand" gun, then spend the rest of your available time, energy, and fiscal resources on training.

You have made this statement in one wording or another, several times over the last few years. It is one of the most profound things you have written that I have read on the internet.

A gun the size of the Glock 19 can fulfill most of my pistol carry needs. I just wish more manufactures would offer a model in this size range.

My G17 is my house, competition, duty, CCW, and always gun. I switched to the G17 from the G19 in 2014 to show that it could be done.

On the G19... If it's an option, it's usually the answer.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Most folks would be WAY better off is they just stick with one firearm type and learn to master it; get two or three identical pistols--one for training, one for carry, one as a spare or "nightstand" gun, then spend the rest of your available time, energy, and fiscal resources on training.

Like BeatTrash said, I also agree and have decided to follow Docs advice.

Believe me I have been wanting to get a CZ p07, Beretta, VP9, 9mm 1911. Especially after hearing reports about how shootable some of these are. I realized that for me(who wants to focus on a defensive gun) I am better off sticking with a gen 4 g19 and focus on improving my skill then hopping around to different platforms. There are plenty of people who can shoot Glocks really really well. I don't think Glocks will hold me back in the shootability department given consistent practice on a consistent platform.

With that being said, I think a g19 can cover anything you need it to. I carry mine with a fitted suit jacket or sport coat in a tuckable AIWB when the need arises.

If your interest is solely acquiring a tool and the skills to defend yourself, 99% of folks would be best off if they got even two Glock 19 pistols, an OWB and IWB holster, a mag pouch, and a truck load of 9mm ammo. Of course, many people enjoy shooting generally, including long guns and a variety of handgun types, and enjoy firearms. For those people, a world with just 2 or 3 Glock pistols is the firearms equivalent of purgatory*.

* a place or state of suffering inhabited by the souls of ……..
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If your interest is solely acquiring a tool and the skills to defend yourself, 99% of folks would be best off if they got even two Glock 19 pistols, an OWB and IWB holster, a mag pouch, and a truck load of 9mm ammo. Of course, many people enjoy shooting generally, including long guns and a variety of handgun types, and enjoy firearms. For those people, a world with just 2 or 3 Glock pistols is the firearms equivalent of purgatory*.

One problem I see a lot, is folks that can shoot long guns fairly well because....long guns are easy to shoot (I mean carbines, not actual precision long range rifles). I've seen many, many guys who can run a carbine......not do well at all with a handgun. Seen a few this weekend at the three day EAG course I'm attending.

ETA: learn how to shoot a pistol first when starting out. It will help in other shooting disciplines.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-18-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    #RESIST

Carry gun is either an rmr g17 or g19 in a Dale Fricke Seraphim(appendix) or (if carrying with a light mounted) in a Raven Phantom (3 o'clock owb). As a general rule, I carry my combat handgun.

I carry a G19; shoot G17s mainly. I much prefer the full sized grip, but IWB SS, they print too easily.

Haven't figured out how to not print badly in AIWB.

Tried a G26 for a while, but found very little a G26 could to that a G19 couldn't and the 19 is more shootable.

That's why I've resisted the latest and greatest pistols over the years. I have a lot of time and money invested in the 92 platform, and whatever incremental gains I might get from going to a P30 would be less than spending that money on ammo to practice with my 92s.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think AIWB is the game changer. With conventional 3 o'clock carry, it might be necessary to go down from a 34 or 17 to a 19 or 26 size gun, or make significant dress around decisions. With AIWB, your full size game/HD pistol can also be your carry people.
    This. I carried an M&P Shield strong side for quite some time, but wanted to be carrying a larger and higher capacity weapon that I could shoot better. I switched to AIWB and it was a revelation. Now it's my P229 every day.

Purgatory*.

Gun Control Advacates.

User Tag List