Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Carry" vs. "Combat" Handguns

If I carry a G19, my "nightstand" gun is a G19 with an X300U. When I carry an M&P, my my "nightstand" gun is an M&P with an X300U.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Same with the Doc -- my Carry gun is my duty gun, is my nightstand gun -- I have more M&P's - but I don't rotate them in, unless needed.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Most folks would be WAY better off is they just stick with one firearm type and learn to master it; get two or three identical pistols--one for training, one for carry, one as a spare or "nightstand" gun, then spend the rest of your available time, energy, and fiscal resources on training.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most folks would be WAY better off is they just stick with one firearm type and learn to master it; get two or three identical pistols--one for training, one for carry, one as a spare or "nightstand" gun, then spend the rest of your available time, energy, and fiscal resources on training.
    I agree. There is a lot to be said for the fine level of attunement one can get if all available time and effort goes into one platform.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I've always carried FS handguns (SB K frame, M&P, G17) except when dressing up as they tend to print when wearing a sport coat.
    This was my thinking for years. I had a 1911 for daily use and a J-frame as a dress-up gun. Then I discovered really good Kydex holsters, and that radical notion you can cut a G17 grip to take G19 mags. I haven't carried anything else since then.

That works for me because of my body type, wardrobe, and profession. YMMV.

Okie John

I get my suit and sport coats cut a tad larger to allow for guns...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I think AIWB is the game changer. With conventional 3 o'clock carry, it might be necessary to go down from a 34 or 17 to a 19 or 26 size gun, or make significant dress around decisions. With AIWB, your full size game/HD pistol can also be your carry people.

The exception being, I don't think AIWB works well for a smaller woman wearing trim clothes. My wife goes from her regular G26 to a G42 or J frame behind the hip in fitted clothing, where cover garments are not an option.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think AIWB is the game changer. With conventional 3 o'clock carry, it might be necessary to go down from a 34 or 17 to a 19 or 26 size gun, or make significant dress around decisions. With AIWB, your full size game/HD pistol can also be your carry people.

The exception being, I don't think AIWB works well for a smaller woman wearing trim clothes. My wife goes from her regular G26 to a G42 or J frame behind the hip in fitted clothing, where cover garments are not an option.
    AIWB doesn't work well for me with dress clothes either. My suits and jackets get fit while wearing IWB SS. So much depends on what you wear, which sometimes isn't a free choice. AIWB works well in a casual setting and at one point was about the only way I carried. Since my dress varies a lot now, I default to IWB strong side. That's why I really like the CTAC because you can adjust the cant to help hide full size guns.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    AIWB doesn't work well for me with dress clothes either. My suits and jackets get fit while wearing IWB SS. So much depends on what you wear, which sometimes isn't a free choice. AIWB works well in a casual setting and at one point was about the only way I carried. Since my dress varies a lot now, I default to IWB strong side. That's why I really like the CTAC because you can adjust the cant to help hide full size guns.
    Suits and jackets? Where I work and play, almost nobody wears a suit or jacket unless they are from out of town or getting married. With a sport coat, a thin wool sweater vest works great with AIWB.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry a Glock 19 most of the time, which I would consider to be a duty/combat handgun. I do carry a S&W 442 and a Ruger LCP often, basically in NPE's or places where I feel like I don't need a gun, i.e. lounging around the house in shorts, etc.

Everyone has different requirements. Lots of things go into picking a carry gun, or should. Work and social environments, financial situation, clothing preference - they all play a part. I agree with DocGKR that most everyone would be better off with one full size or compact platform like the Glock 17/19, but most folks aren't going to go that route, either because they aren't willing (they like to mess with different guns), or their situation won't allow it.

User Tag List