Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "Carry" vs. "Combat" Handguns

Site Supporter
    I tried the Kahr PM9 but mine never ran. I didn't want to send it back as I didn't trust it. I traded it for a G26 as a compliment to my G19 and carry both.

I took an Insights course with the 26 and it was fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Well said, and I think that's the crux of the perpetual disagreement on this issue.

I prefer the term 'slovenly golfer', myself.
    If I wear an oversized Steelers/Penguins/Pirates shirt not only is concealment not a problem, but I look no different than any one else from the 'Burgh. If any of you visit here you will understand.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    If that 2 million figure comes from the FBI UCR Report, its probably wrong. The truth is -- as far as I can determine -- unknowable, but due to the flaws in the way that data is compiled, that 2 million number is probably significantly higher. I would be happy to expand upon the flaws in UCR either here or in another thread if anyone cares.
    It does indeed come from the FBI UCR. I'm certain it underestimates the number of violent crimes or attempted violent crimes that occur.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It does indeed come from the FBI UCR. I'm certain it underestimates the number of violent crimes or attempted violent crimes that occur.
    Behold, the monster that is sampling bias.

Domestics further compound the problem, as people tend to not report family members who go full kittenhead.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Behold, the monster that is sampling bias.

Domestics further compound the problem, as people tend to not report family members who go full kittenhead.
    Sure. Rapes are also typically under-reported.

Also reporting anything at all is voluntary, so sometimes a police department will just not send in the report or some aspect of a report. The city of Atlanta did just that to burnish their credentials for the Olympic Games bid.

Back on Topic: I went with the G19, and even though I had carried a 1911 exclusively for years/ I didn't have much trouble adjusting. Also, my reloads are faster since the Glock magazines taper, and the mag well is wider.

I'm 6'3, 225 lbs. I can conceal my Sig P220, .45 ACP pretty easily with an iwb holster, and I often do. The majority of the time, I choose to carry my G26 with a spare G19 mag and my Benchmade AFCK in urban settings. I'm confident that I can extract myself from 99% of the misfortunes I may encounter with 26 rounds of 9mm, 124 grain Speer Gold dot. In rural areas, it varies from more spare ammo if hiking with my wife, to a long gun and a pistol if hunting.

It is really dependent on your comfort level. What are you comfortable concealing, -vs- what do you believe to be the threat and an appropriate load out. Carrying a G26 gives me roughly the same comfort level as any handgun.
    Last edited by Kranq; 10-25-2014 at 10:31 PM.

I just don't ever want to face a shot like this while carrying nothing but an LCP;

Name:  MumbaiTrainTwoTerrs.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  38.8 KB

This is where rob might show up and tell me that I am statistically unlikely to face such a problem. Since I was also statistically unlikely to attend two active-shooter incidents in my career I will note again that it sometimes ain't the odds.

IMHO, if I am ready for a worst case scenario then I am well prepared for a lesser scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I just don't ever want to face a shot like this while carrying nothing but an LCP;

Name:  MumbaiTrainTwoTerrs.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  38.8 KB

This is where rob might show up and tell me that I am statistically unlikely to face such a problem. Since I was also statistically unlikely to attend two active-shooter incidents in my career I will note again that it sometimes ain't the odds.

IMHO, if I am ready for a worst case scenario then I am well prepared for a lesser scenario.
    Granted that's a picture, and it's tough to get depth from it..........BUT -

I'd hate to have to gamble on "combat accuracy" at that point in time. I'd trade 15 bbs for 8 if those 8 would nearly touch each other a that range. But that's just me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I'd trade 15 bbs for 8 if those 8 would nearly touch each other a that range. But that's just me. YMMV.
    I would take whichever I was most comfortable with.

For you, that is probably 8 out of a CQB-E, and for Chuck 17+1 out of a G17.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Either way, having a round launched from a handgun that would be both capable of making such a shot, and able to get through things like loaded magazine pouches, might be important.

User Tag List