Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behind the hip and car seats?

Behind the hip and car seats?

I realize that this is a Carry 101 question, but how do folks who carry behind the hip deal with sitting in a car? I've been experimenting with a J-frame in a variety of positions aft of 3 o'clock, and have yet to find one that's comfortable when seated. I can imagine it might work with a soft bench seat, but a bucket with bolsters seems problematic.

I'm not comfortable with AIWB at this point.

Thanks!

I think it really depends on a number of factors:
    1. Holster
    2. How big you are
    3. How thick the gun is
    4. How small the seat is

What holster do you use? How large are you?

I'm roughly 5'9", 150lbs. Currently experimenting with a cheap Bianchi IWB but I've tried positions outside the holster's normal range(with a j-frame blue gun for safety). Car most often driven is a Mazda3.

For some reason when I read your post header I immediately thought of hip carry and child car seats and thought arming your infant might be a bit much. I guess I had an old timers moment.

I typically carry strong side IWB and I'm a big guy. Carrying while driving is one of the places where I've found the shoulder holster to work really well, but haven't used one in about ten years. I find strong side OWB to be uncomfortable and a nusance, catching on seat belt brackets and all that. IWB pulls the gun in closer and I've become so used to it that it's now more comfortable for me than OWB carry. I've found the type of holster is really the key, not so much the size of the weapon as I currently carry a Beretta 92FS which is no key fob gun. This is the general set up I've used for the last decade plus.

I now use the same type holster for the Beretta and carry one eighteen round spare magazine. I find the stability of the holster is the real deciding factor in comfort, with a good belt of course. An IWB holster with the loops positioned on the side rather than on the holster body itself, ie. the old Summer Special, is far more stable. As such, when you get in and out of the vehicle the holster doesn't shift around and maintains it's position. This is a big aid in comfort.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've carried a G19 at about 3:30 a ton in modern cars, mostly in a FIST model 1K, IWB. Not too bad at all, incl long trips. I'm pretty thin if that factors into things.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This is such an individual question that there is no good answer other than "spend $1,000 on different holsters and guns until you find one that works".

For me, switching to an M&P9c from a FS made all the difference in the world vis a vis car carry comfort - that little bit off the grip was a big plus for comfort.

What is the angle of your seat? Is it way back or near vertical? For all carry positions I have found that a more vertical seat is better for carrying a pistol.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I realize that this is a Carry 101 question, but how do folks who carry behind the hip deal with sitting in a car? I've been experimenting with a J-frame in a variety of positions aft of 3 o'clock, and have yet to find one that's comfortable when seated. I can imagine it might work with a soft bench seat, but a bucket with bolsters seems problematic.
    I have worn a full-size 5" 1911 or M&P 9 FS at the ~4 o'clock position on countless roadtrips in a Z3 , and it has pretty cozily bolstered buckets. All I can say is that a good holster in the right place on the belt is probably the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06
    What is the angle of your seat? Is it way back or near vertical? For all carry positions I have found that a more vertical seat is better for carrying a pistol.
    ^^^I agree with this.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This is such an individual question that there is no good answer other than "spend $1,000 on different holsters and guns until you find one that works".
    Unfortunately, this.

I carried a 1911 OWB at about 3:30 in a Kramer Straight-Drop Scabbard (http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24) for many years. You'll find a way to make it work.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Definitely.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List