Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a rifle round always better than a pistol round?

Is a rifle round always better than a pistol round?

Just wondering, assuming a typical 5.56/.223 FMJ round does NOT upset, is it still a better round, in terms of terminal ballistics, than a standard service pistol caliber JHP that does expand? Does the higher velocity of the rifle round cause more disruption to the target than an expanded pistol JHP?

I've wondered about this for a bit myself, specifically as relates to sub-sonic in a post-300 BLK world. My question has been whether a non-expanding sub-sonic 7.62 rifle projectile is more devastating than an expanding 9mm.

I've witnessed a gut shot by a self inflicted wound to the gut with an M4. I was unimpressed and it was a through and through shot. He walked to the aid station unassisted.

The same type of thing has happened with many people shot with pistol caliber JHP's...

A rifle projectile that does not upset in tissue is less damaging than an expanding handgun projectile the performs as designed.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Several posts in this thread were deleted after Staff discussion; we'd prefer to avoid technical "how-to" discussions on certain topics. Thanks for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    A rifle projectile that does not upset in tissue is less damaging than an expanding handgun projectile the performs as designed.
    Thanks Doc, and I assume that the converse is true, that a rifle round that does upset in tissure is far more damaging than a properly performing pistol round?

Generally correct.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

OK one last question. Not trying to be pesky, just get all the details. What about a rifle round that YAWs without fragmenting? A properly performing pistol round still better?

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    What about a rifle round that YAWs without fragmenting?
    What distinction is there between a bullet "upsetting" and "yawing?" (Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I thought that in this context, at least, those two terms were interchangeable.)

User Tag List