Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why I heart traffic cops;

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Now I'm just hoping nobody answered "standing beside a road videotaping domestic cars" and is super offended.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    It's a trashy indulgence they admit to, they can't be offended
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Fair enough. I wasn't aware the phrase " traffic cop" was equivalent to "lazy" in LE speak.
    I was not trying to imply anything about work habits or laziness. Instead, I was pointing out that the LEOs in that video were SC State Troopers - I recognized the cruisers and uniforms from the 8 years I spent on the NC/SC border in Charlotte. I was also suggesting that most state troopers are seen (i.e. see themselves) as elite para-military law enforcement officers. While traffic enforcement on highways is a big part of what they do, so is drug interdiction, fugitive apprehension, anti-terrorism, etc. Thus, most of the ones that I know would not appreciate you calling them a traffic cop - especially while they are writing you a ticket....
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Speed does indeed kill, I've seen it hundreds of times and anyone who refuses to accept that fact is a juvenile fool.
    If speed kills the autobahn would be like the old red asphalt videos.

Does speed increase the chance of injury, including fatal injury? Yes, but not nearly enough to justify the concentration of speed enforcement in the United States.

I know someone is going to pull out the old some super high percent of accidents were caused by speed. That conclusion is blatantly false, because the basis of the statistic used is from accident reports done by LE officers. If they determine that the car at fault was exceeding the speed limit regardless of it contributing to the accident or not that is consider an accident involving speed.

Now there have been two studies done by actual trained engineers, they went to the scenes of accidents and did a full engineering level investigation. The one that I remember found that less than 20% of accidents were caused by speed to fast for for roadway conditions or the curve. And they aren't basing that on the number on the sign, but actual roadway/traffic conditions and that study included wintery conditions where they came to the conclusion that it wasn't safe to be on that road at any speed (I am sure that made the trip home fun). The biggest cause of accidents, distracted driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I was also suggesting that most state troopers are seen (i.e. see themselves) as elite para-military law enforcement officers.
    Maybe in that is true in the Carolinas, but down here in Florida there are times that FHP barely considers itself a LE agency. As late as 2008 they didn't even require their troopers to wear their bulletproof vests.

Budget for non-traffic related training is nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    If speed kills the autobahn would be like the old red asphalt videos.

Does speed increase the chance of injury, including fatal injury? Yes, but not nearly enough to justify the concentration of speed enforcement in the United States.

I know someone is going to pull out the old some super high percent of accidents were caused by speed. That conclusion is blatantly false, because the basis of the statistic used is from accident reports done by LE officers. If they determine that the car at fault was exceeding the speed limit regardless of it contributing to the accident or not that is consider an accident involving speed.

Now there have been two studies done by actual trained engineers, they went to the scenes of accidents and did a full engineering level investigation. The one that I remember found that less than 20% of accidents were caused by speed to fast for for roadway conditions or the curve. And they aren't basing that on the number on the sign, but actual roadway/traffic conditions and that study included wintery conditions where they came to the conclusion that it wasn't safe to be on that road at any speed (I am sure that made the trip home fun). The biggest cause of accidents, distracted driving.
    In all fairness, the driving regulations for vehicles and licensing in Germany are much more stringent then they are here. If we did build an "Autobahn" here and changed nothing else, we really would have 'Red Asphalt' on our hands.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In all fairness, the driving regulations for vehicles and licensing in Germany are much more stringent then they are here. If we did build an "Autobahn" here and changed nothing else, we really would have 'Red Asphalt' on our hands.
    And I wouldn't argue that we should have no speed limits, as many Americans lack the ability to self moderate.

But OTOH the concentration on speed for traffic enforcement isn't improving safety. But it is low hanging fruit for departments. Running a wolf pack on I-75 at 7-8 am will net more traffic tickets, both in number (which they can use as a stat that they are doing something), and revenue (which helps justify their department). Than dedicating the same amount of officers to catching aggressive driving all day.

Germany OTOH is the other way around. They will go after the aggressive drivers, and the shitty drivers even on the section of the autobahn that have a speed limit.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Now I'm just hoping nobody answered "standing beside a road videotaping domestic cars" and is super offended.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    It's like a blue collar Cars & Coffee thing, bro. Besides, Mustangs and Corvettes aren't cars...they're religious icons.

If you look on youtube you'll find footage of people videotaping Vipers and Ford GT's spinning out and smashing into traffic in the exact same way.
    3/15/2016

I'd much rather drive on a road where everyone is going 95 and paying attention to their driving than a road where everyone is going 55 and texting.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'd much rather drive on a road where everyone is going 95 and paying attention to their driving than a road where everyone is going 55 and texting.
    ^this^ times infinity and beyond!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I don't disagree with the first part of your statement, but if you look at Montana, the 2nd half doesn't hold water. Speed limits are increasing in several parts of the country. Between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City it's 85mph for huge stretches of road. There's a pay-to-play toll road in Austin that's 85mph as well.

User Tag List