Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New book, Left of Bang

Site Supporter

New book, Left of Bang

I just read Left of Bang last night. This is a new book on "Combat Profiling" , by Patrick Van Horne and Jason Riley. For some of us here there was nothing earth shattering or brand new. There was, however, a detailed breakdown of situational awareness and how to cultivate it. There is a wealth of information about spotting unusual or suspicious behavior and making timely and correct decisions about dealing with it. A worthwhile read.

At the end of the book there is a website noted for continuing education. I found some of the articles on that website to be of more value than the book itself. One needs to read the book 1st to get the terminology and a feel for their method, then go to the articles on the website for practical application.

If one read the book, went through the practical exercises on the website, and then took MUC with Southnarc he would have a pretty good grounding in spotting pre-assault indicators and other suspicious activity. Or, you could just spend 10 years in an inner-city patrol car and hope you're a fast learner. I recommend reading this book.

I just placed my order. I've had the book sitting in my shopping cart for a week or so but your review sealed it for me. Thanks.

Hadn't heard of it until now, but I'm a firm believer that "the book you don't read won't help you." Off to Amazon; your recommendation alone is plenty.

I bought it on SN's recommendation. I am having trouble getting throughout it, although it is very effective in making me sleepy, which is an unanticipated benefit for evening reading.

Slow, slow start, full of plenty of PC, with constant telling you how important this stuff is.

I have high hopes for the remaining 2/3 of the book.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    GJM- Agreed, it's not a fun read. There is some good stuff there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bought it on SN's recommendation. I am having trouble getting throughout it, although it is very effective in making me sleepy, which is an unanticipated benefit for evening reading.

Slow, slow start, full of plenty of PC, with constant telling you how important this stuff is.

I have high hopes for the remaining 2/3 of the book.

There's a salesmanship angle that I don't care for and a good portion of the source material had been discussed over on TPI several years ago. I think they could have used more brevity in the body of work.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased it for Kindle, and am working my way through it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bought it the other night on Kindle.

For me, just starting out, there is a lot of new stuff.

I am guessing that it will help me in raising my overall SA. My head is not yet in a place where I carry everyday, but so far I think it's good value for $7.99.

Just finished it. Saw that phrase "Thin Slicing" used again. When I first heard it used, it was in a discussion of how the bad guys used it as part of the victim selection process. Didn't stop to think that I can use "Thin Slicing" to pick up on bad guy vibes until I read this.

Yeah, I'm a little slow.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    There's a salesmanship angle that I don't care for and a good portion of the source material had been discussed over on TPI several years ago. I think they could have used more brevity in the body of work.
    Wholly agree. What is funny is that a TON of this stuff was in the USMC system a long time ago......and it didn't jive with the decision makers ideas of what was important. I think most of the longtime street cops were likely bored to tears and thinking "yea, no kidding", but it is likely very good for those not used to working around people who hate you and hunting them in their own backyard.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List