Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 357 mag ammo help

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Exactly.

If I had to choose between two projectiles, they penetrated and expanded the same, but bullet #2 had a bigger temp cavity, all else being equal I'd pick that bullet. Life ain't that simple though......

I will note that a surgeon friend, in talking to him about that .357mag OIS I posted on, told me that he thought it likely, from my description of the wound track, that the bullet directly hitting the tibia had missed the fibula but broke it anyway.
    A large buck I doubled lunged from a range of about 20 feet with a 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw .223 load, upon examination had TWO broken ribs at the entry wound. The bullet expanded perfectly like a magazine ad and was recovered just under the skin on the far side. The wound channel through the lungs was like a 2 inch auger bored through it neatly. Very different than the internal explosion that I've seen from OTM bullets at close range. But TWO broken ribs under a .22 diameter entry would was pretty weird.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A large buck I doubled lunged from a range of about 20 feet with a 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw .223 load, upon examination had TWO broken ribs at the entry wound. The bullet expanded perfectly like a magazine ad and was recovered just under the skin on the far side. The wound channel through the lungs was like a 2 inch auger bored through it neatly. Very different than the internal explosion that I've seen from OTM bullets at close range. But TWO broken ribs under a .22 diameter entry would was pretty weird.
    You're also talking about rifle velocities.

Exactly. But it's sorta like Chuck's tibula and fibula story. Sorta.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Perhaps the answer to this is a matter of statistics. In other words, the chance of a temporary cavity being able to cause damage is a very low--but not completely impossible--at fast pistol velocities and that probability continues to increase as velocities increase until it becomes a high probability event. That might help to explain events like these.

It is a spectrum, not a sharp dividing line.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Temporary stretch cavity is not a wounding mechanism of SOME handgun bullets: http://www.brassfetcher.com/Wounding...0Expansion.pdf
    In the case of Brassfetcher vs. the FBI ballistic's experts, I pick the FBI all day long.

Kinectic energy doesn't kill people, putting holes in their organs does.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is a spectrum, not a sharp dividing line.
    Thank you, Doc. That helps to crystalize the thoughts I was groping for and explain phenomena like these.

User Tag List